nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips for Surviving Winter in Washington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Winter is coming…

When the days get shorter and the air gets colder, we all instantly miss the summer sunshine and heat. It’s hard to stay upbeat and happy when it’s so dark and dreary outside all the time, but in truth, there are lots of ways to combat the winter blues! Here are just a few:

Study in open spaces where other people are present (library, study hall, dorm lounges). Gloomy skies plus heavy coursework can really bring a person down. Working in an open space will provide more light, breathing room, and energy than being alone in your dorm.

Exercise! This doesn’t’t have to mean going to the gym for a 60 minute workout, it can mean taking a twenty minute walk outside or turning on some loud music and dancing your heart out. When your body is moving, neurotransmitters such as endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine are triggered. These neurotransmitters are well known for their role in mood control, and can help you unwind during a stressful day of homework and test prep.

Make plans! Even something small and simple like dinner with a friend can give you something positive to look forward to. It will give you motivation to get things done by a certain time of day or of the week.

Treat yo’self (self care ftw). Take some time to really focus on you! You’re a strong, hardworking human being and you deserve to relax and pamper yourself. Go to the mall and buy new shoes, sit down with some ice cream, put on a facemask and watch Netflix in your pajamas. It might not be Vogue-glamorous, but it sounds like a good time.

Take advantage of winter instead of dreading it – find fun winter-specific activities to do like ice skating, snowboarding, and hot chocolate parties. Bus to Leavenworth, WA to see its annual Christmas lighting, watch the christmas parade at Snowflake Lane in Bellevue, hitch a ride to Snoqualmie Pass to go snow tubing! Let’s make the most of the coldest season of the year.

Eat chocolate. Yes I’m serious!  Nutritionist Sonya Angelone states that dark chocolate boosts mood because it raises endorphin levels. Who knew chocolate could be good for you?? My personal favorite brand is Theo’s Chocolate (to all you Huskies, the District Market has tons of flavors and varieties near the check out register).

Volunteer at a donation center: It’s true when people say that there is an indescribable joy in helping others. And when it’s this dark and cold all the time, we could all do with a bit of joy. Donating or volunteering at a donation center helps those around us who cannot afford the necessities to stay healthy and warm.

Rohini Mettu

Washington '22

My name is Rohini Mettu, and I'm a self-taught, aspiring photographer and graphic designer in the Pacific Northwest. I love my hometown of Seattle, but I also love traveling the world and meeting new people! My other hobbies include painting, dancing, and binge watching Friends and the Office :)