Wellness > Health

New Year, New You- How to Actually Meet Your Health Goals in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

The proudest moment of my athletic life occurred on December 26, 2020 while sitting down to watch the football game with my dad (well, he was watching the game. I was reading a book and munching on gameday snacks next to him; football isn’t really my thing). He reached out to pat me on the shoulder and, upon feeling my upper arm, drew back in shock. “Oh my God,” he said, his eyebrows raised. And that’s when I knew: exercising for the past seven months had really paid off. 

At this point, some context may be necessary: I am not an athletic person (maybe my distaste for football was a hint). In middle school, I was usually the kid being pelted with dodgeballs in gym class and I opted for the school musical over any sports teams. My hand-eye coordination is abysmal, as is my spatial awareness. My worst nightmare involves picking teams for kickball. You get the gist. 

Despite not being a fan of athletics, however, it has always been important to me to stay fit. Every New Year, I, along with millions of other Americans, would resolve to work out. For real this time. I’d then spend thirty minutes on the treadmill every day for about a month and then gradually resume my stagnant, non-athletic ways. Now, don’t get me wrong: I’d eat healthy and I’d make time in my day to move, maybe by going outside to walk my dog. But I was never able to sustain my fitness kick and really develop the stamina and muscle I wished for. And then came COVID.

When you’re trapped in your house for months at a time, I found, you can’t pull the I’m too busy to exercise excuse. Along with practicing Spanish and working on my writing, getting fit was one of my long-held top goals. And I finally decided to achieve it. For real this time. 

Starting over the summer of 2020, I made time to work out four days at minimum each week. Although my initial attempts led to some sore limbs and excess sweating, as time went by, I eventually began to see – and feel – real progress. Which brings me back to that moment “watching” football. Growing up, my dad used to jokingly tease me about my lack of athletic prowess. So, you can imagine why, after years of being the “wimpy” one in the family, my dad’s exclamation of shock at my enlarged biceps was a big deal. 

Now that the New Year has rolled around once more (thank goodness!), it is once again time for people to swear to break out their sneakers and get moving. As someone who has finally made the commitment to exercise, here are some suggestions for any fitness beginners out there looking to actually make good on their goals. 

1. FITNESS IS AS MUCH MENTAL EXERCISE AS IT IS PHYSICAL

As a non-athlete, it used to really irk me when top athletes would flash a smile at the camera and say “fitness is all in the mind. Just have a positive attitude, and the rest will work itself out.” Easy for you to say, top athlete! However, once I started working out regularly, I discovered that there is a lot of truth to that corny phrase. You are much stronger than you think you are and, while there is no shame in needing to take a water break every now and then, sending yourself positive messages and pushing yourself that extra bit (as long as you aren’t overexerting yourself and endangering your health) will absolutely help you to attain your fitness goals. Before you get exercising, take a moment to really think about why you are committing to working out. Find your motivation and remind yourself that, while it may take time, you can and WILL do it! Self-fulfilling prophecies are legitimate; if you tell yourself that you can’t finish the workout or that your exercise regimen will only last two weeks, chances are, that’s what will happen. 

1. FIND YOUR FIT

Once you’ve hyped yourself up and reminded yourself of your “why,” it’s time to get moving. But workouts are not a one-size-fits-all type deal. First, do some exploration to find out what works for you. Are you more of a cardio person or do you really want to strengthen your core? Do you feel refreshed after full-body workouts or is that overwhelming to you? How long do you like to work out for? Do you like to work out alone or with a friend? What kind of instructor do you need, if any? Do you prefer to exercise at a gym, at home, or outside? Because of COVID, I took to working out in my basement, guided by YouTube videos. Specifically, I’ve been watching the channel Popsugar Fitness; I love this channel because they offer a wide variety of exercises of different styles and lengths and with different instructors. Their videos also include a person showing modifications of exercises which is great for when you’re starting out as well as advanced versions of moves which is great for when you’re a veteran. Taking the time to discover what works best for you is essential as you begin to establish a routine. 

1. ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE

Oh, and did I mention routine? Getting yourself on a regular schedule will help exercising to become a habit. Now that you’ve figured out what kind of workouts are right for you, set aside time to work out. Whether it’s once a week for an hour or four times a week for twenty minutes, make a plan and stick to it (though modifications are welcome as time passes). I’ve also found that setting a timer for yourself on your phone is a big help and will remind you that it’s time to work out. Regardless, having the word “EXERCISE!” scrawled into your planner at a specific time will be far more effective than thinking “Maybe I should exercise sometime” as you maneuver toward the couch. 

1. HEALTHY HABITS GO HAND IN HAND

Exercising is wonderful and important, but it won’t do you much good if you’re guzzling soda and junk food at 3:00 A.M. the next morning. Getting yourself on a regular sleep schedule, eating nutritious foods, and staying hydrated – particularly before and after your workout – is key to really seeing results. 

1. BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF

Despite the previous advice, it’s important to remember that you are just starting out. If you have to modify every move and take frequent breaks, that is okay. If you can’t keep up in your fitness class, it is not an issue. Don’t allow yourself to be intimidated by the weight of your goal or by the progress of others. Just do your personal best and be kind to yourself throughout your victories and failings. This also means taking care of your body by warming up and cooling down before and after your workout – be sure to get a good stretch in and avoid over-exerting yourself!

Happy New Year and the best of luck to all of you fitness newbies! Wishing you a wonderful 2021 and hoping that the proudest moment of your athletic life will arrive

Alexis Bentz

Wash U '24

Alexis Bentz is a senior at WashU double majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing and Spanish.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.