sleep aid products hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sleep aid products hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith
Wellness

Insomnia: 5 Tips to Fix It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

As college students rush to catch their morning classes while holding a cup of steaming hot black coffee, there’s a common understanding that these students are just used to sleeping late. Yet according to a study about insomnia among university students, 9.4% to 38.2% of university students are suffering from this sleep disorder. For students reading this, if you have insomnia or just struggling to fall asleep, here are 5 things to remember to get a good night’s sleep:

1. The bed should only function as a bed

Let’s face it, the bed is where we usually watch a long-running series of our favorite show from Netflix while also eating snacks but this is a big NO. If the bed is associated as a place to do anything instead of a place to relax, we’ll also associate it as a place for fun and not a place to relax! Make sure you watch your Netflix series somewhere else!

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash
2. Always sleep at the same time!

It’s already common sense that we have to wake up at the same time to be able to attend our first period classes on time but since we’re doing this, we might as well adjust the time you sleep as well! It might be hard to program your body to sleep at 10 pm every single day (yes, including weekends as well!) but continue this and you’ll be able to get that 8 hours’ worth of sleep!

3. Get up if you can’t sleep!

Contrary to popular belief of trying to force yourself to get those snoozes by counting sheep, worrying about not sleeping reduces the chances of you getting sleep. If you can’t sleep after lying down for 20 minutes, get up and read a book or listen to some music, just make sure you’re out of your bed!

4. Herbal tea over coffee

College students might not adhere to this but it is preferable that reducing consumption of caffeine or eliminating it can give you better snoozes and a night of deeper sleep. If you need that caffeine boost, just remember to not drink caffeinated beverages after noon since it’ll probably keep you awake at night!

5. Goodnight, phone!

Although our phone functions as our alarm and we’re not willing to get an alarm clock, setting your alarm earlier to prevent you from trying to not look at your phone can make you fall asleep faster! Since your phone emits blue light which keeps you awake, putting your phone down and not looking at Instagram can benefit you!

Eli Signo

Waseda '21

an aspiring writer with plenty of hopes and dreams. the downside is i always type in lowercase because i'm not used to seeing a lot of capital letters in one sentence.