body images 2019 11 17 food salad healthy vegetablesjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 17 food salad healthy vegetablesjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Exotic Blend: Healthy Cuisines in Taiwan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It has become increasingly common for adults (particularly people who work) to search for delicious food outside, enjoy the meal, and call it a day instead of having to worry about meal prep or what to cook. Office workers are seeking healthier options to dine these days, and this is applicable worldwide. In my hometown Taiwan, vegetarian restaurants have been on the rise these few years, and past stereotypes of these restaurants of “lacking taste” or “lots of greens” have been largely changing. Here are three different restaurants that serve healthy and delectable Asian cuisine that is guaranteed to satisfy your palate.

Spice jars
Pexels

1. Flavor of India: All about veggies and spices

This Indian restaurant opened around three years ago, and it is certainly difficult to find a spot to dine on the weekends if you didn’t make a reservation. Despite the fact that the restaurant has a small entrance, it is quite spacious inside. Flavor of India has several Indian chefs in the kitchen, and they are ready to serve you authentic, aromatic Indian dishes every single day. This restaurant can also cater to customers’ needs and alter your dishes based on vegetarian or vegan (vegan includes ones who do not eat spring onion, garlic, onion, etc.). 

Some of their most delicious dishes include onion kulcha (onion herb naan), palak paneer (Indian block cheese with spinach flavor), Jeera rice (fennel rice), and many more.

2. Sukhothai: Luxurious Thai Dining

Located in the renowned 5-star hotel Sheraton, Sukhothai gives you the elite dining atmosphere and appetizing Thai cuisine. The price range may slightly exceed the average office workers’ budget; however, this is the perfect dining option for family gatherings or reunions. If you prefer milder food, Sukhothai can gladly offer dishes that may be more suitable for the Taiwanese palate.

Some of their most delicious dishes include Pad Thai (fried Thai noodles), deep-fried shrimp cake, pumpkin red curry, and many more.

3. Yang Shin Vegetarian Restaurant: Abundant Vegetarian Choices

This has become one of my favorite restaurants in Taipei, and it is conveniently located in the center of Taipei. They provide endless savory plates that are unique and reasonably priced. Since Yang Shin is usually fully booked, it might be a better choice to order take-outs and enjoy the dishes at your own leisure. 

Some of their most delicious dishes include deep-fried pastry with shredded turnip, healthy herb rice noodle roll, eight delicacies and taro rice, and many more.

If you have the chance to visit my hometown Taiwan in the near future, be sure to check out these three amazing restaurants on my pocket list. I am sure you will not be disappointed by how the dishes can be both healthy and delicious at the same time!

KPop overdose 24/7, amateur foodie, NBA addict, and ambivert Taiwanese International.