This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

During this pandemic, I have found it hard to relax, probably for many reasons. First, I have more free time on my hands than ever before, while also having normal schoolwork. Normally, I would have places to go, activities to do, or friends to meet up with, so I would have a more concrete schedule and set aside times to take a break from schoolwork. However, since I am basically stuck inside all day with an infinite amount of homework and studying, I always hear a little voice at the back of my head reminding me that I could be doing work. I know, however, that this would just make me go crazy and slowly deteriorate my sanity. That’s why I have made the conscious effort to have a few options on the table for fun things I could do when I would like to be done with work for the day. I think this is extremely important; you can probably relate to the feeling of being restless and bored out of your mind, but not having the motivation to come up with ideas to pass the time. Given this stressful time, these feelings are completely understandable, but we need to help each other through it. 

Cook: bake, sautée, steam…

Through my quarantine, I have found that without the option of going out to get yummy meals, learning how to make them myself is very necessary. Also, it’s fun! It is far more satisfying than you know to sit down to both an aesthetically pleasing and delicious meal that you’ve prepared yourself. There are so many great recipes at your fingertips that you might not even know about. For example, simply throwing together a mix of your favorite vegetables with some butter, garlic, and pepper can be so delicious and easy. By using a trial and error method, you can learn to whip up some great dishes in the kitchen.

Dig out your old art supplies!

Even if you have no interest in art, there is a good chance you have some old boxes of crayons, markers, paint, or colored pencils sitting in the back of your closet, just waiting to be used. Starting an art project is an excellent way to keep your hands and mind occupied — you can start something large, like a mural, so it can be an ongoing project. For the last few weeks, I’ve been painting a table. It started as just a few cartoon pictures, but it has been getting filled up with numerous little doodles such as Stewy from Family Guy, Perry the Platypus, and Tweety Bird. 

Find a TV show you are actually invested in…

While it is so easy to fall into the habit of re-watching old tv favorites (I am no better, my Netflix queue puts me to shame), I have found that starting a new show that you love can be better. During this time of isolation, getting into a new show and characters can help with the boredom. Incorporating this new show into your schedule will likely make you look forward to this part of the day. If you’re looking for a classic drama-comedy series, and you are a fan of Gossip Girl, I recommend Sex and the City it’s WAY better! Another hilarious and emotional show is Californication; it can be a bit scandalous, but it is also hysterical. 

Give yourself challenges.

I am a runner, and I’m used to running every day so I can stay flexible and loose. While I have been able to go for runs outside, it has been hard remembering and motivating myself to stretch often. I found that by using myself as my greatest competitor, I am more motivated. For the last couple of months, I have been working on reaching a full split. For me, as someone who is not naturally flexible, this is a long and tough journey, which can get very frustrating. However, the frustration and difficulties drive me to achieve this goal. Although you can challenge yourself in many areas, it is strangely addictive to see the progress you can make with the capabilities of your body if you commit to reaching a goal. Other challenges can include the number of pushups you can do or extending your planking time. They can be so simple while still giving you something to do and look forward to!

Pick one new topic to learn about.

As mentioned above, I, like many others, have found myself restless and with too much free time. With all the resources we have, such as the Internet, books lying around our homes, movies, and the radio, it is incredibly easy to pick something and decide to become an expert on it. For instance, I am a psychology major and found a book on the journey of Masters and Johnson, two extremely famous psychology researchers. It’s fascinating, as it describes their path to some of the most riveting studies and findings (Masters of Sex, Thomas Maier). There are an infinite number of documentaries and podcasts within your reach — even during quarantine, we are very lucky to be living during a time where technology enables us to do so much.

Get creative, be patient with yourself, and keep encouraging others around you. Everyone right now could use advice, so share yours! If you find something that works for you and keeps your mind from going crazy, help out your friends and family. They will definitely appreciate you for giving them something to do.

Lydia Schapiro

Wake Forest '21

Hi! My name is Lydia Schapiro and I am a Senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Psychology and minoring in Spanish. I am from NYC and enjoy running, yoga, writing, and water sports. I like to write about fitness, movies & books, and mental health. My guilty pleasure is binge watching Sex and the City. My favorite artists are Cage the Elephant, Billy Joel, The Beatles, John Mayer, and Paul Simon.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University