This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Yup. Self-Care. You’ve heard about it. But what are some non-basic ways you can incorporate self-care into your life besides facemasks and candles? Here are 5 not-so-ordinary self-care tips for you to finish out this year strong, and self-improve. 

Throughout 2020, there has been such a strong emphasis on “self-care.” I have seen this all over social media, yet often times when the post is made it doesn’t actually define or go into detail what “self-care” actually means. Self-care allows you to give the world the best of you instead of contributing what is left of you. It involves a whole lot more than just face masks and candles. Here are 5 slightly less ordinary ways you can practice self-care in more ways than you may have originally thought. Learn how to properly fuel your lantern so you can shine bright. 

1. Try a new beauty product. 

This may sound basic to you, but skincare routines are very, very subjective. Try something new for yourself! There is no better feeling than waking up to bright, glowing skin. Recently, something I have been interested in trying are Jade facial rollers. You can store them in the refrigerator and they are proven to help reduce facial swelling, prevent wrinkles, and reduce puffiness. They’re also lovely to wake up to—it’s so refreshing to have a cool roller smooth out any swelling or puffiness. BeautyBio makes my personal favorite, available at Neiman Marcus!

2. Go back and do an old hobby that you once enjoyed. 

Looking back at your life a couple of years ago, is there anything you can think of that you used to enjoy that somehow slipped out of your life? Try to think realistically about this one. Oftentimes, when I reflect on some of the hobbies I used to have when I was growing up, I realize that I could easily make time for them in my life today. I used to absolutely love painting when I was growing up, and I have found that incorporating old hobbies into my life has made me a much happier person; it makes me feel like I am forever young (in a sense). 

3. Try to recenter yourself. 

Yoga is awesome for this. In the midst of the chaos of our lives, it is very easy to feel as though you are slowly (or quickly) becoming associated with yourself, your thoughts, and even your values. I recommend taking 15-20 minutes every night to recenter yourself and disregard the extraneous stressors that may have arisen throughout the day. It is both cleansing and relaxing to do this before you go to bed, as well. By inspiring yourself, you will inspire others.

My favorite wind-down yoga is on YouTube by Yoga with Adrienne

4. Take time out of every day to be introspective. 

I cannot emphasize this point enough—self-reflection is key. Learn to be comfortable being you, learn to love you, and learn to accept the love you think you deserve. Ask yourself this: are you putting on a facade for others? How much of what you do is for yourself? Do you feel as though you have to change aspects of your personality/self in order to seem more appealing to others? How can you become more aware of yourself and your values? Well, the answer is introspection. You have to be aware of the role you play in your own life, not in others. If you find yourself trying to be someone you’re not, or feel the pressure to appeal to a specific audience, cut it out. Put your thoughts and values first; remember that people are smarter than you think, and even though you think your seemingly sly plans or motives to change who you are do not go unnoticed by those who are comfortable with themselves…they do, and it only makes you foolish.  Self-reflection is the root of self-improvement. If you want to better yourself, turn within yourself…not to others for approval.

5. Remind your loved ones that you love them. 

Showing your love to/for others often demonstrates their love for you in return. Tell your loved ones you love them. Psychological research has shown that when you tell someone you love them, your mood increases and happy neurotransmitters circulate throughout your neurons in your brain. Informing others of your care or love for them may also encourage more love and care for yourself, and this indeed falls within the “self-care” category. It is amazing how so much of what you do for others can impact your own life, and how dramatically your mood can change by showing compassion towards others.

Shayna Smith

Wake Forest '23

Shayna is a current sophomore at Wake Forest University located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Shayna is an intended Business and Enterprise Management major with a concentration in Marketing and a Communications minor. In her free time, she enjoys yoga and cooking but is passionate about both writing and interior design. Living close to Washington, D.C has given her an appreciation for the arts, especially music and creative writing. After graduation, I plan on working in the real estate industry.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.