This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As college students, we have all experienced rough days at one point or another. Our severe lack of sleep only adds to our bad moods when something doesn’t go our way. Whether it’s getting a D- on that math test you studied all weekend for or getting left on open by that cutie who sits in front of you in your freshman seminar, we have all been there. Although nothing can truly undo these unfortunate events, I’m here to provide some tips for moving past them and improving your mood. 

My first tip is to breathe. Sit for just a moment and take some deep breaths to assess the situation at hand. Is this event worth elevating your stress and ruining your mood? Is there anything you can do to fix the situation or is it out of your control? If there is a way to take action, such as speaking to a professor about your test score, then do it. However, if the event is done and over with, move on with your day and don’t look back. One of my favorite phrases to use for navigating everyday life is: if it won’t matter in five years, don’t spend more than five minutes on it. 

My second tip is to find a stress management technique that is most suitable for you. Personally, I release all stress and tension through running. Exercise, meditation, listening to music, hanging out with friends, and napping are all fantastic ways to combat stress and anxiety. While some people prefer to power through and go about their day if you are the type of person who needs to take some time to calm down and process, do what is best for you. Another method I highly recommend trying is talking it out. Rant about it, yell about it or have a friend help you rationalize what’s going through your head. Confirmation that your feelings are valid and justified can work wonders for going about your day with a level head. 

My final—and most important—tip is to laugh about it. Laughter is truly the best medicine, especially when the laughs are shared with the people you love. Once you’ve processed what’s upsetting you, surround yourself with your best friends. Since starting college, I’ve learned that sometimes the best way to end a long day is to find a funny movie and enjoy it with my favorite people and some microwave popcorn. At the end of the day, no matter how serious or seemingly trivial a situation is, your well-being is most important. Always remember to take a minute (or several) and think about all of the good in your life that greatly outweighs whatever went wrong that day.

Emma Costello

Wake Forest '23

Emma is currently a junior at Wake Forest University. She is majoring in Health and Exercise Science and minoring in Chemistry and Biology. In her free time, she greatly enjoys weight training, reading, and hiking.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University