This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When someone mentions a “beauty routine,” we often think of make up and products galore. While what you put on your skin and face is important, the food you put in your body is just as crucial. Remember the phrase “you are what you eat”? Well it’s definitely true for your skin, hair, and nail health. Add these healthy and yummy foods to your diet more often, and see how beneficial they are for your external and internal health!

The three main nutrients to add to your diet for hair health are cysteine, omega 3 fatty acids, and biotin. Cysteine, a nutrient found in lean proteins, works to nourish hair. Incorporate more chicken and fish into your diet for nurtured, healthy hair. Salmon is a great source of cysteine and omega 3 fatty acids, so it adds luster as well! Lastly, look for whole grains that have the vitamin biotin, which can help in skin, hair, and nails!

For healthy and radiant skin, look for foods that have omega 3 fatty acids, such as fish, walnuts, and flaxseed. These foods will help protect your skin from damage and reduce inflammation, which is the primarily cause of aging or tired skin. Even better, omega 3 fatty acids can help reduce breakouts by curbing the inflammation that leads to acne and toxins in the skin.

Grapefruit is also great for healthy looking skin as it contains Vitamin C and antioxidants that prevent free radicals from damaging and aging the skin. Blueberries are also rich in antioxidants and have been shown to be one of the best snacks for your skin!

To build more resilient and shinier nails, start eating more foods with silica and sulfur. Broccoli is a great food for keeping your nails healthy and strong, and calcium from yogurt and milk is an excellent way to maintain healthy growth and shine.

Pile these foods onto your plate and you will soon see how the right nutrients and vitamins can make you feel great and look even better! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.