Wellness

Why a Routine Might Be What You’re Missing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

l have to admit, I haven’t stuck to all of my New Year’s resolutions; however, the one thing that I have tried my hardest to do is stick to a routine.

Prior to having a routine, I was basically the queen of over-sleeping and coming up with excuses to reassure myself that skipping my class perfectly okay. I also was pretty terrible at time management and would find myself scrolling through the strange part of YouTube way too often.  

To sum it all up, my first semester didn’t go as I planned, so this was mostly the reason why I wanted to start implementing some structure into my day. As cheesy as it sounds it was a “new semester, new me” mindset. And get this – it worked.  

Now I know that we are only a few weeks in, but I already feel so much better about this semester than the last. I truly owe it to my new schedule.  

When it comes to what I do in the morning, it honestly all starts the night before. Getting enough sleep each night has helped me stay on top of my day so much better. Instead of scrolling through social media until 3 A.M, I make it a priority to be asleep most nights by midnight. This way I get the amount of sleep my body needs to not look and feel like a zombie the next day.  

Although sleeping until the last second, throwing on some clothes and sprinting to the bus stop works for some people, it has never worked for me. I absolutely hate being rushed. Most of the time if I wake up late, I’ll end up skipping. Waking up a little earlier to do things that I enjoy in the morning such as brewing a cup of coffee and spending time on my makeup make it totally worth it.

Taking the time to do things that I enjoy in the morning has put me in such a better mood and mindset to start my day. Waking up a bit earlier has also allowed me to eat a filling, quick breakfast, and get some work done before class. After my classes I don’t really have a routine, but I just try to use my time wisely.

When it comes to my night routine, I really push making it a priority to start winding down an hour before I plan to go to bed. I will usually brew some tea, take a shower, clean up my apartment a bit and get any last minute work done for the following day. I try my best not to be on social media when I’m in bed about to go to sleep, but it’s definitely something I’m working on. I’ll usually limit myself to a few YouTube videos or listen to a podcast before I fall asleep.

Everyone’s night routine is going to be different. If you feel your best doing some yoga and reading a book before bed, then do that! Also ,don’t be afraid to go to bed early. You’re not a grandma, you’re just smart. Your body will thank you in the morning.

No matter what you choose to do in your routines, simply having one that you stick to every day will be extremely beneficial, and will get you on track for success this semester.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com Thumbnail from Pexels.com

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!