This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

After a long year of studies, I am pleased to say that summer is finally here. For some, summer means three months of nothing but relaxation. For others, summer means three months of wild outdoor adventures. However, it is important to keep a fit lifestyle no matter which path you choose. A common issue with college girls is stagnation or lack of motivation when it comes to cardio routines. Although I personally do not mind running, I love spicing up my workout. For those who dread the thought of going on a run, here’s a list of fun cardio replacements.

Cycling

If you’re like me, bike riding is only enjoyable when it’s in the open air. There is no better feeling than a warm breeze whipping through your hair and caressing your cheeks as you bike through an open greenway on a summer afternoon. To top it all off, it’s an amazing workout! Grab your old bike, find a trail and take it for spin.

Kayaking

With summer comes the beauty of water sports. Take a break from catching rays and hit the water! Kayaking, canoeing, wake surfing or any other water sport are the best way to balance summer fun and exercise. Naturally, being sun-kissed and surrounded by refreshing water makes it seem like more fun than fitness.  

Hiking

Whether you live in Blacksburg, Virginia or Madison, Alabama, there is always a mountain trail somewhere. Hiking is fun for dates, day trips, family outings and… cardio! Incline walking or speed walking is great for increased heart rate and leg sculpting. Get a group of friends together and enjoy the perfect balance of mesmerizing scenery and a killer workout.

Pick-up sports

Former high school athletes, this one is for you. Whenever I play sports I love, I always forget the fact that I am exercising too. Meet up with old teammates and make the most of your free time. Enjoying the sun, catching up with old friends and playing a sport you love just speaks for itself.

Stairs/ Stadiums

Personally, I get terribly bored on stairmaster machines. If you like high-impact or fast-paced cardio, find a local stadium or long staircase! Just like the stairmaster, stadium sprints are an amazing high-impact workout guaranteed to get your heart rate up. Believe me, the effects of running stairs and stadiums feel a bit more comforting when done by choice rather than by pre-season torment.

Swimming

As kids, going to the pool meant playing in the water until dinner time. As young adults, going to the pool generally means laying on the pool deck until it gets hot enough to dip your toes in. On a nice pool day, go an hour earlier to swim a few laps before laying out. Swimming is one of the most underrated yet impactful workouts. Plus, if you’re going out for a pool day you might as well get the most out of it!

With the school year over and the heat rising, it’s much easier to find motivation to be active. Although laying on the beach, eating your weight in seafood and fresh cut watermelon may be the ideal way to spend summer, it is important to remain active. Exercise does not have to be dreadful or boring! Take advantage of the weather and pamper yourself to a happy, healthy, and carefree summer.

Image Sources:

All other images are our own / Rep

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.