This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ever have one of those days when you’re feeling down and like the whole world is against you? Those times when life isn’t going too badly but something happens that tips you over the edge, and now all you want to do is lie in bed and watch Netflix?

College is difficult and nothing can prepare you for the amount of stress that comes with it, especially with finals nearing and the semester coming to an end. Movies love to romanticize the college experience and conveniently leave out the countless hours of studying for exams and failing them anyway, or the all-nighters pulled before midterms. And not to mention the group projects where you end up doing all of the work and your group mates still manage to take all of the credit. 

It’s hard to stay motivated when it feels like there’s so much to do and not enough time in the day to do it. So, something that I’ve been doing daily to keep myself motivated has been repeating positive affirmations!

Speaking things into existence is so powerful, and it only takes a couple of minutes out of your day to complete. It can be challenging to maintain a positive mindset when things are not going your way, and it can also feel awkward to hype yourself up, but it is absolutely necessary. 

An affirmation can be as simple as saying: “I will accomplish this specific task today because I have the power to do so,” or can get as complex as reciting a different affirmation each day. This website has a variety of different affirmations that you can use.

So, here’s how to do it:

Take a look in the mirror and start listing off all of the great things about yourself. Things like your outfit, hair, accomplishments, or literally anything, as long as it’s positive! It may feel uncomfortable at first, but it gets much easier over time. 

If you’re not comfortable with saying your affirmations out loud, you can gather post-it notes and place them on your mirror, laptop, planner, desk, and any other items that you’re constantly using.  

Self-love and care are extremely important, so please don’t neglect them!

Marciana Castillo

Virginia Tech '23

Marciana is a sophomore from Norfolk, VA majoring in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise with minors in Integrative Health and Wellness and Creative Writing. She aspires to become a physician and author one day. When she's not studying you can catch her watching rom coms, teaching with Hokie Wellness, sipping matcha boba, jamming to music, or playing spikeball!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!