This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

This year, my goal is to begin a workout routine that I’m excited about and will continue without feeling like I’m forcing myself into something I hate. One of the ways I’ve done that is with a gym membership at McComas for their group exercise classes

So far, here are my favorites:

BODYPUMP™

This is, quite honestly, my favorite class offered at McComas. Using a barbell, you work your way through each major muscle group, as well as your smaller muscle groups, such as your biceps, triceps, and core. Within 45 minutes, the instructor pushes you through an intense workout that leaves you feeling sweaty yet exhilarated. If you want to get the most out of a workout and get those endorphins pumping, head on to BODYPUMP™.

Barre

I’d never tried barre until the first week of classes, and I’m definitely going back. In this class, there’s a mix of regular fitness and ballet to work your entire body. I will say, your core will be dead by the end of class. However, there’s nothing better than the feeling of knowing how strong your body actually is.

Cycle

I’ll admit, I have to thank my friend for forcing me to try this class. I initially thought I wouldn’t like cycling, but the instructors are amazing. I wouldn’t be returning to the classes if it weren’t for them. This class is intense, so prepare for your legs to burn as you power through a workout that feels like a real bike ride.

Cardio Dance

If you love the traditional feel of Zumba, you’ll love the way cardio dance infuses current hit music into the class. As a way to introduce some cardio into your workouts, this class provides a fun way to release energy and work your muscles.

Yoga

At the end of the day, my perfect way to unwind is with a good yoga class. This class will work through breathing techniques and stretches that leave you feeling refreshed and relaxed. If you’re looking for more types of yoga, check out vinyasa flow, yogalates, power yoga, power vinyasa or yoga and meditation. These classes are perfect for a weekend session.

When looking for a good exercise class, it’s nice to have a place to start. Hopefully, these classes will brighten your day and keep you feeling great. I know they make me feel better.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.