This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Last year, I successfully completed my resolution all year long. I wanted to drink more water so I did. For a year straight, I drank 96 oz of pure water every day, along with additional ounces through coffee and tea. This meant I sometimes reached a gallon of water a day. I am so proud of myself. You might be thinking it’s a silly thing to be proud of hydration. But that’s not what I’m proud of; instead, I’m proud of my consistency and dedication. Heading into 2023, I wanted to challenge myself again. This time I’m attempting to complete 75 Hard. If you don’t know what 75 Hard is, then allow me to enlighten you. I think it’s a super cool, easy, and fun way to maybe lose a few pounds, gain a clearer head, and feel a little better. Here are the rules for 75 Hard:

Follow a diet that does not include alcohol or cheat meals

I’m very fortunate to be able to afford an app that provides me with a comprehensive guide to nutrition. However, you can still complete this step without a program. For instance, maybe your goal is to cut out all added sugars, alcohol, and cheat meals. The choices are endless. What matters is the execution and how you feel along the way. Also, I believe it is more than okay to tailor these rules to your needs. For instance, if you’re of legal drinking age and feel alcohol doesn’t hinder your health or productivity, then maybe limit your consumption of it to strictly social occasions. 

Drink a gallon of water daily

I think this step can sound daunting at first. However, I know from firsthand experience that it’s so doable. I successfully drink a gallon of water a day by setting time limits or due dates for myself, if you will. For example, if I wake up at 8 AM, then I’ll tell myself I need to drink one full water bottle every three hours. So by 11 AM, 2 PM, 5 PM, and 8 PM, I should be finishing a water bottle. Soon, this will just become another habit as simple as brushing your teeth twice a day. I’m not going to lie though, you’ll be peeing all day long. The benefit of staying hydrated is the immense energy it’ll bring you. When I started diligently drinking water, my energy levels went through the roof. It also makes your skin much clearer.

Complete two 45-minute workouts every day (one indoor, one outdoor)

Now, before you see this rule and just about give up on the notion of completing this challenge, let me explain a few things. Again, I believe the best way to be successful with this challenge is to make some adjustments. Working out for an hour and a half every day sounds ideal but isn’t so realistic for college students. Therefore, I’ve dedicated myself to an hour every day. Also, I’m not going to be too picky about the indoor/outdoor rule seeing as the weather in Blacksburg might not always permit an enjoyable walk or run outside. Again, I’m fortunate to have access to a platform that provides me with a variety of workouts. I have a Peloton account and it’s the best thing ever. Whether you want to do this challenge or not, I highly recommend downloading Peloton and paying for a subscription. While it’s improved my physical health, I’d say it has improved my mental health even more.

Read 10 pages per day of a non-fiction book

As a bookworm, this is probably the most enjoyable rule. I really enjoy the fact that it’s pushing me to read more non-fiction – something I’m not typically drawn to. Right now, I’m reading Starry Messenger by Neil Degrasse Tyson. I’d definitely recommend it. 

Take a progress picture every day

This is obviously the easiest rule of all. However, it can feel unrewarding at times. Not much change is made day to day. Don’t look for physical changes every day. Instead, look forward to the very last picture that you can compare to the very first one. 

If you skip a day, you must start over

This is the most important rule and the one that will drive you to complete every other rule for 75 days straight. Imagine getting to day 41, skipping a workout, and having to start all over again. It’s not worth it. Therefore, be so consistent and dedicated that you don’t even worry about this rule.

75 days of healthy eating, proper hydrating, purposeful exercising, and insightful reading will change your life for the better. It sounds hard but it shouldn’t be. Living well should become second nature. It’s what I deserve, what you deserve, and what we all deserve. Every time a new year comes around, everyone seems to panic about ‘getting back on track.’ They’re so panicked about the end goal that the reason gets lost. I’m approaching 75 Hard with the mindset that I might carry these habits along with me all year long. Throughout the rest of my life. I hope you decide to join me. 

Alden Koupal

Virginia Tech '26

Hi, my name is Alden Koupal. I'm from Richmond, Virginia. I'm a freshman at Virginia Tech majoring in international studies. I enjoy going for long walks, listening to music, and eating sweets. I'm an introvert at heart and I adore reading and writing. Her Campus feels like a dream come true. The freedom to contribute to such an inclusive community feels infinitely rewarding.