Wellness > Health

How to Motivate Yourself to Workout When you Don’t Want To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Getting back into the swing of things in Blacksburg can be a lot more taxing than you’d anticipated. Sure, the first few weeks of school can seem like a breeze since major exams and projects haven’t hit yet, but for most of us, switching gears into a new semester always causes for a huge change in our day-to-day schedule. If you’re anything like me, and your summer consisted of a lot of free time outside of work, settling into a new space, reconnecting with friends and touching base with your organizations may seem exhausting. With all of this craziness demanding so much of our time and energy, many of us are dying to answer the age-old question: When am I going to work out? For anyone who is struggling to get back into the rhythm of an exercise routine, here’s a few tips for how to find the motivation to fit working out into your schedule. 

Update Your Playlists

The music you play can make or break a workout. It’s time to ditch the ten-song playlist you’ve been using so long it now makes you sick. Changing up the songs you listen to during a long run or at the gym is a good way to re-energize and become more excited about working out again. Do some deep digging on Soundcloud or stalk some of your friends’ Spotify accounts to see if you can find some new songs to jam to. 

Check Out Youtube

Usually when we find time to work out in the midst of a busy schedule, the motivation hits at weird hours of the day that can make it hard to link up with friends. The good news? If you find working out to be lonely, there are thousands of people who are dying to talk to you while you do! Well, sort of. Many youtubers try to reach their audience through workout videos where they act as a coach and inspire us to workout with them as they explain new exercises and tips for working out. Sometimes we need a voice to motivate us to keep going, even if it is a stranger’s and this is a great way to diversify how you work out. It’s also helpful when you are in a time crunch, as this is something you often don’t need much equipment for and can do in the privacy of your own room. 

Start Slow

If you’re having trouble conditioning your body to do a workout with intensity, start with something less intimidating like yoga. Yoga will ease your muscles into moving again without causing too much soreness too fast. This can be a great way to get in touch with your body and quiet your mind after a stressful day. It’s also a fun new activity to try with a group of friends as beginner yoga classes are suitable for people of a wide range of experience with exercising.

Just Get Dressed

The only way to finish a workout is to start, so just getting dressed and showing up to the gym is going to push you toward the motivation you need. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to have a killer first workout and remember that exercising is meant to be fun and give you those happy endorphins you need to have a great week. And once you start getting back into the rhythm, keep in mind that it can only get better from here!

Image Sources 

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Kelsey O'Connor

Virginia Tech '21

Current junior double majoring in Professional & Technical Writing and Creative Writing with a Strategic Communication minor. Likes traveling, hiking, running, watching the Hokies win, and drinking coffee at any hour of the day.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.