Wellness > Mental Health

Five Places To Cry on Campus To Feel Like a Main Character

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Look, I’ll be honest. With the sudden change from Zoom University to in-person classes, tears have flowed so much that I think it could power a city. Instead of going to class from the comfort of my pajamas and fuzzy socks, I have to get up at least an hour and a half before going to class. Add in a nice scoop of early life crisis, too much social interaction, and the fact that finals are in seven weeks. Boom — you’ve got loads of built-up stress that come out at the most embarrassing times. So, let me save you the trouble of running across the Drillfield to get home and tell you some of my favorite places to let a mental breakdown hit me. 

Duck pond

Do I need to say more? The gazebo, the way the water ripples with the breeze, and the willow trees swaying make the Duck Pond almost therapeutic when you cry here. If you’re not a fan of shedding tears in a public space, I suggest this one. Nature is healing. Plus, once you recover, you can become friends with the geese and create an army of them. It’s pretty neat.

newman library — 5th floor

You would think that, in a place where it’s supposed to be quiet, people would most likely judge you because they can hear you, but this has been the most accepting place to cry since in-person classes started. You also get the best of both worlds here — a quiet, isolated space to let your emotions flow and an environment that is easy to study in. Yay! 

Any bathroom in burruss hall

For some reason, I’ve heard more people cry here than anywhere else. This makes sense, you know, seeing as how this is one of the campus’s main attractions and literally at the central part of all the academic buildings on campus. There are tons of them, and they are always empty. So, it’s self-explanatory why this is a great place to cry.

THe drillfield

This is a highly underrated crying spot. No, it’s not as embarrassing as you think it is. Yes, you’re still going to be self-conscious when you cry here, but does it matter? I think people are more worried about their problems than seeing you shed a few tears because you failed a test. The Drillfield is a perfect spot if you like people watching too. I like to pretend everyone is a sim to cheer myself up. 

Hahn horticulture garden

Pretty similar to the Duck Pond, you get a chance to stop and breathe here. It’s nice to be able to take a walk through the garden after a long, tiring day, and you can watch the creek or smell the flowers.

Reece Miller

Virginia Tech '24

Reece is a junior majoring in Psychology and Multimedia Journalism with a minor in Music Technology. She loves spending time with friends, shopping/fashion and going out, but if you can't find her, they're probably sleeping or curling up with a cheesy romcom or horror movie!