This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When Gucci Kroger runs out of aloe, you know you’re in trouble. That’s exactly what happened in Blacksburg after the first Virginia Tech football game on Saturday, September 3.

Since summer is winding down, many of us begin to neglect sunscreen. If we leave the house and it’s only 68 degrees, we often don’t thing about getting burnt, but prolonged sun exposure can damage our skin no matter what the temperature is. No matter how well we prepare, though, there will always be times where we mess up and leave an event looking like lobsters straight out of the West End steamers.

Here are a five tips on how to care for yourself when you’ve been sunburnt.

1. Hydrate

It’s very easy to become dehydrated when you’ve been sunburnt. The sun has drawn quite a bit of your fluids to the surface and there might not be much left in you. Your body will also need the water so it can work in high efficiency mode to repair the damage to your skin.

2. Get cool to relieve pain

Take cold showers or apply a cold compress to the burnt area(s). You’ll want to stay in cool places and indoors until the burn has healed.

Pro tip: keep your aloe or other healing gels in the refrigerator. It will feel like heaven when applied to your burning skin.

3. Seriously, stay inside

Your body is going to be tired anyway, since it’s working overtime to heal you. More sun exposure when you’re already badly burnt can cause additional harm.

4. If you have to go outside…

Wear sunscreen. WebMD suggests applying sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside, and every two hours while you’re out.

Avoid going out during prime burn hours between 10am and 4pm.

5. Moisturize

Use your favorite type of moisturizer in addition to aloe. Applying it regularly during the healing process—try doing it after every shower—can reduce peeling later on.

Warning: The Skin Cancer Foundation warns against using petroleum or oil-based treatments (like Vaseline®) as they may trap in heat and worsen a burn.

Sunburn is going to happen sometimes. It’s inevitable. But by treating it well and taking steps to avoid it, we can still enjoy our last weeks of summer.

Megan Church, or Maury, is a writer and editor for Virginia Tech's chapter of Her Campus. She studies at Virginia Tech, majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing. With a passion for writing and experience in journalism, Maury excitedly joined the team that brought Her Campus back to life at Virginia Tech.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!