jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Mental Health Needs to Be Validated in the Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

How many times have you signed a professional contract stating that you must bring a doctor’s note as proof of unavailability to work? In most cases, that’s fair. You have the flu and feel miserable, so you miss work to go to the doctor and bring proof of visitation the following workday. But what if you need to take a day off because you cannot bring yourself to get out of bed due to something like severe anxiety or depression? A doctor’s visit might not be necessary, yet a debilitating illness runs rampant. 

Oftentimes, when someone reveals they are battling a mental disorder, they are automatically judged. Employers, especially those who have no prior experience with mental disorders themselves, might think that their employee is lazy or is simply using a disorder as an excuse to miss work. It’s the “if I cannot see it, it must not be true” mentality. It’s tricky because with mental disorders it is often difficult to see the symptoms. They do not cough, sneeze or bleed, so, externally, a person might appear perfectly fine. Yet, internally, they could be suffering. Put it this way; you cannot physically see the effects of diabetes, yet why on Earth would anyone take a chance on denying a diabetic their insulin?

Taking better care of one’s employees benefits the overall business. If mental health disorders were regarded as the truly devastating illness that they are, rather than seen as taboo or ignored altogether, businesses would run much more efficiently. Communicating to employees that their health and well-being matters on both a personal and professional level can go a long way in establishing a positive work environment. When employees feel like they matter as people rather than just worker-bees, higher rates of efficiency, loyalty to the company and overall happiness occurs. Not to mention, by taking an initiative to sympathize with employees, an employer might inadvertently ease mental health disorder rates at their place of work, as stress in one’s professional life is a trigger for many people. Ultimately, there is absolutely no reason to invalidate someone’s disorder. It is always better to assume that someone is suffering. The initiative of inquiring about someone’s mental health in itself can show that the workplace is a safe zone should people feel like they have nowhere else to turn. 

Although improving workplace conditions will greatly aid the fight for mental health awareness, there are so many more aspects of society where acceptance and advocacy needs to occur. Schools and universities, places of worship, within family groups, etc.; basically, any place, organization or societal group where human beings are prevalent (that’s essentially everywhere!) must become sympathetic to the internal demons that people face. Until then, the world remains ignorant and people are forced to adhere to societal constructs, even though their health and well-being might be in danger. Mental illness can plague anyone. It is important, therefore, that society recognizes and validates the signs, symptoms and feelings associated with it.

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!