Wellness > Mental Health

Why It’s Important to Hype Yourself up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Colleges and other educational institutions have started back up again, creating a busy atmosphere of exams, classwork and tutoring sessions. In the midst of all the busyness, it is so easy to lose ourselves and forget our strengths as well as what makes us unique and special. This is why it is important to hype ourselves up once in a while and to remind ourselves how great we are and how much we can accomplish. It may seem a tad bit cliché, but confidence will bring you success and a sense of worth. 

There is no simple answer on how to take care of yourself because everyone’s priorities are different, but more than that, life is constantly changing so your responsibilities will differ at every stage. However, there are many different ways you can fully embrace yourself no matter what stage of life you are in and be proud of who you are. For instance, I believe in pep talks so whenever I am feeling down, I look in the mirror and repeatedly acknowledge some of my positive qualities. I have friends who love to crank up the music when they’re feeling bad about themselves and just dance so they can remind themselves of a happy moment. The way you want to hype yourself up will be different from another person and that is completely normal. 

brunette woman shot from behind facing a window, wearing headphones listening to music and holding them with her hands
Photo by Burst from Pexels

Being confident and proud of yourself is the first step to thrive in any environment: whether that be amongst your friends, your significant other, your job or even school. When you embrace your flaws and accept yourself for the way you are, then you can start to tackle more challenging situations and also accept others for who they are. This is actually from a post I saw on Facebook, but someone mentioned how in a relationship it is important to love yourself before you can love anyone else. You should be able to share the energy that you give another person in a relationship with yourself too, and choosing your happiness is never selfish. When you finally start to love yourself and be confident with who you are, then you’ll be happier and more accepting in any relationship. 

In today’s society, it is so easy to compare ourselves and our lives with our friends and peers through social media, which may cause insecurities or feelings of disappointment. However, it is important to remember not to get carried away with everything you see online and to remind yourself of all your positive qualities. You have to be there for yourself before you can start helping others or adding on more responsibilities in your life. Even on an airplane, they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first before you can help others. Hyping yourself up will allow you to be more resilient, have better mental and physical health, increase motivation and productivity. So don’t be afraid to look in the mirror and shout “I’m beautiful, smart and can accomplish anything I put my mind to,” every morning to remind yourself of how amazing you are!

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!