This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Swimsuit season is around the corner and we all know what that means. It means getting bombarded by ads telling us ways to get the “perfect summer bod” and the Insta-baddie Kim Kardashian clones start pumping out even more ads for skinny tea scams. 

Even I as a straight-sized woman have struggled with my body and the ideal image of beauty. The first time I remember feeling insecure about my body was 5th grade. I put on my first bikini, a heart-patterned rainbow one my best friend gave me. When I looked in the mirror, I did not like what I saw. Poor baby Sydney! I remember doing sit-ups in my bedroom when I should have been sleeping. 10-year-old Sydney had already internalized all the images of blonde, long-haired, white, tall and size two women with perfect skin with no scars or stretch marks that were supposed to be the definition of beautiful. And while these women are beautiful, we get it! It is time for us to embrace other forms of beauty. I have started to accept my body, which is a huge feat for me and I challenge my fellow ladies to try and do the same.

This swimsuit season, I dare you to not fall into the trap of thinking eating in a restrictive, unhealthy way for a month will magically make you love yourself! Why? Cause you already have a swimsuit body, girl! Sure, you might lose some weight eating only oranges and kale for a month, but you are going to feel tired, grumpy and inevitably gain the weight back that you lost once you start eating in ways that make your tummy and mind happy. I know a lot of your fave celebs are promoting teas and diets that they claim they are on and love, it may be hard to resist to try it. Try accepting a reality where the body you are in right now is a good body to be in. You don’t need to be a certain size to show tummy or thigh.

You don’t have to follow people on social media that make you feel bad about yourself! It is fun to see what the latest influencers are wearing, doing and looking like. Although when it gets to the point where you’re comparing your body and life to another person’s through what they post online, that is when it gets a little dangerous. If this resonated with you, why not delete the Instagram app for a bit? It won’t kill you, and I bet that once you come back you will feel refreshed. If that seems like too big of a commitment, you could unfollow people who trigger a feeling of inadequacy when you see them.  

Shopping at stores that offer extended sizes will improve your mindset around summer shopping. Not only will you be supporting a brand that stands for inclusivity, but you will be able to rock the trends no matter what size you are! While not all of these are eco-friendly brands, which I personally stand for, here are some affordable and size-inclusive stores for us collegiettes.

To have a happy, healthy relationship with your body this upcoming season, try accepting it for how it already is. I know it is a lot easier said than done, but maybe just consider trying some of these tips that take care of you. It could make all the difference!

Image Credit: 1, 2

Sydney is a senior in VCUarts studying fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. Her passions include music of all forms, social justice, and doggies! She hopes to one day have a career that combines her love of fashion and helping others.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!