Think Pink: National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As we all know, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month to raise awareness of the disease. This disease accounts for over one-third of the types of cancer affecting women. We are all aware of the impact breast cancer has had on women and men but many times we don’t realize the various ways in which we can help support the cause. There are many walks, fundraisers and charities you donate to to support the cause, including Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk coming up on the 21st, right here in Richmond! It’s also a good idea volunteer or even just wear pink or voice your support on social media. 

The disease has most likely impacted a female in your life, or even a male. Male breast cancer is very rare, but has increased over the past 25 years. As for women, the five-year survival rate of breast cancer is over 90% when detected early. Factors possibly associated with breast cancer are alcohol, weight, a history of cancer in the family and eating habits, among many other factors. There is strong evidence that supports the connection between obesity and breast cancer risk. It is also suggested that heavy alcohol use is linked with increased risk, as well with moderate consumption. However, although it may have links to alcohol and obesity, it is possible to affect anyone and everyone. No one knows the cause of breast cancer, but we should all live a healthy life to reduce the risks. So collegiettes™, why not live a healthy lifestyle? Drink only occasionally, eat healthy and in moderation and exercise as much as possible! You can never regret any of those things. Also, go get your mammograms! There is no specific age you should start getting checked, but the earlier the better – cancer does not discriminate. Many noteable celebrities have battled the disease. For example, Christina Applegate, Giuliana Rancic, Olivia Newton-John, Nancy Reagan, Sharon Osbourne and Wonda Sykes. I, myself, have been affected by breast cancer in my family. My mother was recently diagnosed with the disease, but thankfully it was detected early and she won the fight! It has opened our eyes because no family members had ever been diagnosed with the disease. My mother and my entire family is now aware of how easily this disease can touch anyone we know. She gets excited if she buys something and it donates to the Breast Cancer Fund and she is looking forward to doing her first Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C. this coming May! 

Bottom line, you never know who might get breast cancer, why or even when. Make the changes you need to make today in order to decrease your risks, support a good cause and JOIN THE FIGHT!

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.