This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Instant gratification is exactly what it sounds like. It’s that feeling of satisfaction that you get when you choose a short-term benefit instead of a better long-term one.

Generally speaking, most people would want something now rather than later, right? For example, we can tend to overindulge ourselves in junk food, hours scrolling on TikTok, and next-day shipping for that feeling of happiness. These things are all at the touch of our fingertips, thanks to technology. However, in the long run, these decisions can have counterproductive returns because now that food broke you out, you procrastinated on that essay and your bank account is crying. We’ve all been there.

These short-term pleasures can still be in your life, but instant gratification relates to how much self-control one can have to put limits on their satisfaction.

“Live in the present.” 

“Do things that make you happy.”

“YOLO.”

Valid arguments. Honestly, some people may completely disagree and say that this moment is all we have, so do what you want with it. It’s true that this is your life and you shouldn’t waste it. It’s true that spontaneity can breed some of the best days of your life. It’s also true that instant gratification can leave people with some addictive tendencies, lack of motivation and lack of discipline.

The problem with instant gratification is choosing when to give in to it. One may start to notice that they’ve started to impulse shop, or crave that instant feedback from an Instagram post or simply notice that they’re becoming increasingly impatient. How many times have you lost interest in a project or goal because it wasn’t producing fast results?

This is the problem with instant gratification–we lose sight of the future.

It’s basic human nature to want instant gratification, so how can we experience the happiness that comes from delayed gratification?

Be mindful of your urges. Be mindful of your discipline. Be conscious of the fact that you don’t have to act on every impulse, and maybe you’ll start to nice that a long-term benefit exceeds the short-term one.

Have you ever been so mad at your friend or loved one that you felt like screaming? At that moment, you can say all these hurtful words to them, and at that moment, you’ll probably feel some type of relief or pride for getting it off your chest. An instant later, or maybe sometime later when you calmed down, you may feel terrible. That first moment when you could indulge your ego in the short term would not age well with time, and that long-term benefit would have been so much better than that short-lived pleasure.

In life, usually, there is no “quick fix.” If you want to get in shape, then you get in the habit of exercising, switch up your diet and most importantly–hold yourself accountable. You don’t come back and look in the mirror after one gym session and see a change–these things are not instant. You could spend your week’s paycheck on new pair of sneakers, or you could work for a couple of weeks, setting money aside for your needs and your wants until you can finally afford to get it.

The delayed gratification that comes when you finally see the progress that you put effort into is so much more rewarding. 

That being said, it’s okay if sometimes you do give in; you’re human. Just remember that instant pleasure is not the big picture. Some of the best things in life are worth waiting for.

Kaylah Young is a senior at VCU. She is majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism, and a minor in political science. Kaylah has a passion for writing, reading books, and working out at the gym.