This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A quarantine hobby I’ve picked up during the pandemic has been learning more about skincare and building a new routine for myself. I’ve come to love the brand The Ordinary due to their affordable yet high-quality products, which is perfect for young college students trying to save money. One of the main reasons I love this brand is because they don’t add a lot of unnecessary ingredients to their formulas, so it really is up to the consumer to know what they’re looking for and what is going to target their specific skin concerns. I’m going to share my favorite products from the brand that have quickly become my new go-to’s.

Buffet

I’ve been using this serum for a couple of months now, and I can’t imagine stopping any time soon. It’s slightly more expensive than some of The Ordinary’s other products, but I have never seen my skin glow like it has since I’ve been using it. “Buffet” is a peptide serum that has multiple different functions, including boosting hydration, targeting signs of aging, fading pigmentation and improving overall skin health. It can also be used both at night and in the morning. If I had to pick just one product to use besides cleanser and moisturizer, this would absolutely be it.

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

Hyaluronic acid itself is a great ingredient to look for if your skin is dry or dehydrated. It works by binding water to collagen and trapping it in the skin to retain moisture. The vitamin B5 in the formula simultaneously works to heal dry or damaged areas. The consistency of this product can feel a little bit gooey, so I always use this on damp skin to reduce any feeling of stickiness. Overall, my skin looks so much smoother and healthier after consistently using this, and it’s been a game-changer for my routine.

Salicylic Acid 2% Masque

In regards to keeping your pores clear and reducing acne, salicylic acid is the way to go. It’s well known for exfoliating the skin and reducing inflammation. This face mask is what I reach for if I feel like my skin is clogged or a breakout is coming. Salicylic acid is great for mild acne, so this mask has worked great with me in regards to removing dead skin cells and blemishes. With the mask, I’ve noticed it can be slightly drying, but I’ve had no problems or irritation at all as long as I remember to moisturize after. 

As someone with sensitive skin, after trial and error, these are my favorite go-to products from The Ordinary that I’d recommend. However, it’s important to do your own research. A lot of the formulas from this brand contain concentrated, active ingredients, so you’ll benefit greatly from looking into what ingredients will address your specific skin concerns.

There are some products that just didn’t work for me, but other people have sworn by them, so you should take into account your personal skin type and needs. As a whole, I’ve had nothing but a good experience from The Ordinary, and I’m looking forward to exploring more in the world of skincare.

Caroline is a student at Virginia Commonwealth University pursuing a degree in Information Systems. She enjoys reading, running and spending quality time with her dog.
VCU Contributor Account