This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

This weekend, the VCU Massey Cancer center will partner with Sports Backers and various sponsors such as Ukrop’s, Kroger and Virginia 529 to bring the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k to Richmond, Virginia. Runners are encouraged to fundraise for the VCU Massey Cancer Center considering no portion of the registration fee is given to the center. As a runner, I have decided to fundraise in effort to raise money and awareness for the cancer center’s mission.

Training has been difficult, as I have never trained for nor ran any race longer than a 5k. I began my training by running every day, alternating distances between three and four miles. I have never been one to run everyday considering the tendonitis in my ankles and the strained lateral collateral ligaments in my knees. I fooled myself thinking I could simply pick up miles before conditioning my body to do so; my hip joints felt as if they were creaking with each step, my back was uncomfortably sore and my knees were swollen and achy. After suffering from pain and soreness, I began to slow down and could no longer stick to my regiment.

Each donation, however, pushed me to continue running. Although I did not directly benefit from the donation, I felt that each one would have been given in vain if I did not adequately prepare to finish this race. In the end, the goal is simply to finish.

I cut my training down; I ran every other day and changed my course frequently to prevent more injuries. I caught my first wind after making these adjustments and really began to enjoy the workout. I enjoyed the feeling of hitting mile three after coasting through mile one and barely surviving mile two. In no time, I was running five miles, hitting strong strides at miles one, three, and five.

Unfortunately, I began to regress once midterm season began. I had put more and more time into studying and less and less into running. Currently, I am struggling to manage my time to insure proper training and appropriate study time. I’m hoping that I can continue to run five miles and push six, but I may need to consider dialing back to prevent injury.

Training has truly been a journey for me, but I will be prepared come race day. I will continue to run and work on this journey because I enjoy it and because I can. I will continue because there are so many individuals struggling with cancer that wish they could enjoy the physical freedom of a run through this beautiful city.

I also want to finish this training and this race for myself. I want to prove to myself that I am capable of running this 10k and that I have the potential to run much farther distances.

Image Source: 1, 2

She is black, but she is not bitter. She is stern, but she is not rigid. She is tolerant, but she is not weak-minded. She is powerful, but she is not intimidating. She is wise but she is not all-knowing. She is spiritual, but she is not divine. She is analytical, but she is not uninspired. She is female, but she cannot be muted.