Wellness > Health

You Aren’t Taking Advantage Of Your VCU Student Health Fee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every semester, VCU students are required to pay a $120 “health fee.” While this encompasses a large number of services at VCU Student Health, many students might not take advantage of these benefits. The main reason is that students simply just do not know what exactly their money every semester is paying for. For example, there is a $42
library fee that pays for some hidden features located on the Monroe Park and MCV campus, such as the 3D Laser printers located in Cabell Library that just require an STL file to operate. 

The VCU health fee means no co-pay upfront for most services that they provide such as meeting with a nurse, nutritionist, psychiatrist and more. They cover both physical and mental health services for any VCU student who has paid the fee. According to their website, they cover “blood and/or body fluid exposure, immunizations, mental health & ADHD, nutrition consults, sexual health & wellness and travel health care.” If you need an outside referral to a specialist, VCU Student Health will also provide someone to help guide you through the process. So, luckily, even if you have no idea where to start, VCU Student Health can help you get started. You can make as many appointments as the professional sees fit.

While many services are provided at Student Health Services, not every service is covered by the health fee, especially those located at the MCV campus, such as more serious injuries that require immediate medical attention. VCU SHS has also stopped offering allergy shots as well as counseling services. 

In my own personal experience, VCU Student Health is extremely beneficial for students such as myself who may have trouble affording these services if it wasn’t for the fee each semester. Since it is required, why not reap the benefits? It takes a lot of stress off your shoulders when you don’t have to worry about every transaction or cost of something. It causes you to prioritize your own health over stressing about money. 

As a student, I know better than anyone how busy each of our lives is. It is easy to brush off certain things as “not having enough time” or “it doesn’t really matter,” but when it is this easy and requires no additional effort or money, now is the time to put your well-being and health first. 

It is simple to begin the process of entering into the VCU Student Health system. If you’re a student, you’re already in it! You can schedule all appointments through the phone number 804-828-8828, while some (such as immunizations) can be done through the Student Health Web portal. Have your V-number and what appointment you would like to make ready! There may be additional questions, but the overall process is simple and easy to get started. 

See the website www.health.students.vcu.edu or call 804-828-8828 for additional information about what the student health fee covers.

Courtney Te is a Graphic Design major and a Psychology minor at Virginia Commonwealth University. She is passionate about animals, writing and graphic design.