This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The spring semester is upon us which, if you think about it, is actually insane. The holidays went and came and now so does our need for overpriced textbooks, finding new classrooms, and getting adjusted to completely different teachers. As a freshman, it’s a little different moving into this new semester than for others but regardless, everyone needs a strong start to the semester. Strong starts will help set up the foundation for the next 15 weeks or at least give me something to remind myself I’m supposed to do. So here are a couple of ways that will help in starting off this semester with some good habits so they hopefully last for the remainder of the year (or at least for a few weeks). 

Wake Up Early

I know how tempting it is to wake up for your 12pm class at 11:30 but trust me, just a couple more hours will make all the difference. Waking up an hour or two before your earlier classes will definitely help you manage your time better and maybe even have some time to yourself before you go out and cram your brain full of chemical formulas and bio equations. It’ll also help you get into a better sleep regiment so you don’t feel exhausted every day you have to attend class. 

Eat Three Meals Everyday

Okay, I know you’re thinking how crazy it would be to eat three full meals because that is virtually impossible and completely unnecessary, but I promise you, it’s not. Three full meals a day is actually really important for keeping up your energy during the day and I know you think you’ll be fine on the Redbull and half a slice of pizza you ate in the morning, but you won’t be. Plus, once you start taking time out of your day to actually eat, you’ll find that you’ll feel more awake and ready to once again, attend the excitement that is Bio 201. 

Set Aside Time to Relax

Once the semester starts, it’s extremely easy to forget that you need to relax and recharge sometimes. By planning in time to just relax and not think about school or work, it’ll make you feel more in control of everything surrounding you because you have the energy to worry about it. I know I’m not a psychologist, but from personal experience, this is essential. If you start scheduling in this time at the beginning of the year, you’re able to create a habit of taking care of yourself (crazy, I know) and that way, you’re able to navigate the rest of the year knowing you actually are participating in self-care. 

While these tips may seem extremely obvious, they are often disregarded and then the year really goes downhill for some students. Taking time to participate in self-care can only make things better and it will significantly contribute to your success in the next few months. 

Merry is a third-year political science & economics double major at Boston University. She is a former fashion merchandising major and hopes to work in editorial fashion, PR, or social media post-graduation while also focusing on the journalistic aspects of both her majors. She currently contributes to a number of publications while simultaneously working as an editor at Her Campus BU. Merry was also previously the managing editor of Her Campus at VCU and worked as an editorial intern for Her Campus Media. Contact her at mariamgnebiyu@gmail.com & @merry.nebiyu on Instagram.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!