This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

A couple of years ago, I began taking hormonal birth control. Once my body adjusted to it, it became a negative experience for me. My sex drive was depleted, my skin would break out in rashes around my menstrual cycle and my overall mental well-being plummeted. I’d be depressed a week before my period, accompanied by concerning phases of irritability and uncontrollable mean streaks.

I began to ask questions about what exactly I was putting into my body. When I found the answers, I decided there were healthier alternatives to hormonal birth control for me. 

I experienced a lot of frustration in getting answers and having my wishes validated. My pharmacy would buy the cheapest brand of the generic form, which resulted in the brand switching often. I feel this only made it worse, as my moods became more uncontrollable and my cycle lengths would alter. I tried to get them to maintain the same brand for me, but they assured me there was no difference.

I was also met with confusion and vexation in medical settings. My physician and even my gynecologist heavily encouraged staying on the pill, frowning at alternative methods. I found I had to push back and advocate for what I knew my body was needing.

I learned that the longer people are on the pill, the longer they should prepare themselves to discontinue. I was on for just a little over two years, so I decided three months was a good amount of time.

First and foremost, I sought information about the adverse effects of the pill. I learned that no, I wasn’t going crazy and that I was not alone in my frustration around taking it. I really felt that I had lost control of my body in terms of my emotions and even my actions. I realized that the pill can chemically alter behavior and affect decision-making. I felt out of touch with my body and my behavior felt foreign.

“Taking Charge of Your Fertility” by Toni Weschler gave me so much insight into my journey. I learned a lot about the ways in which healthcare is built for white men. There is a lack of understanding and advocating for women’s health.

I learned about alternative contraception, Fertility Awareness Method. I feel this is a healthier method that will help me to achieve awareness about my body. The book really encouraged me to continue to seek knowledge because it’s a superpower. I realize that being informed about the facts and about my body will give me what I need to advocate for myself in medical settings. 

I also began to prioritize healing my overall well-being. I believe the health of my physical body is integrated with my mental well-being. I learned about which minerals have been depleted in my body since beginning the pill.

Nutrition was the way back to a good level, so I focused on eating cleaner. I visited a Nutrition Response Practitioner in Fredericksburg and got on a supplement regime. During my nutrition response test, my body reacted negatively to my birth control. That was confirmation that I was on the right track. 

I also focused on building a healthy relationship with exercise. I realized there are different levels of intensity I should be implementing during different phases of my cycle, which is known as cycle syncing. I personally only adjust during the week of my menstruation by performing light exercise and prioritizing rest. 

My current interest in healing my body is around seed cycling, in an attempt to regulate my cycle and balance my hormones. I’ve been off of the pill for a little over a month now, so I recognize it will take a few months for my body to restore its natural hormonal balance. I am hoping this new method in combination with everything I discussed will achieve my goals. 

I experienced a lot of pressure around staying on the pill because it’s so normalized. I recognize that the pill has been helpful for many people, but I know there are others like me who have experienced the harm and frustration caused by hormonal birth control. I am grateful for the resources I have to become more in tune and aware of my body’s health. Without educating and trusting myself, I don’t know where I’d be on this journey.

Abigale Darnell (she/her) is a student in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University with a minor in Creative Writing. She has an interest in holistic wellness, female empowerment, fashion and pop culture.