Wellness > Mental Health

How to Enjoy Fall When the Cold Makes You Sad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you feel somewhat conflicted when it seems like everyone starts talking about how much they want it to be fall when it’s practically mid August and then they don’t stop talking about it until the cold weather hits. I’m not going to lie, I do get excited about the idea of fall and all the sweaters and pants I get to wear since I am not a shorts type of gal. My contradictory feelings towards fall, however, mainly consist of me knowing that even though the idea sounds nice, I can’t stand the cold weather and all the sad feelings the cold months bring me.

I’ve never been diagnosed with SAD, otherwise known as Seasonal Affective Disorder, although I definitely feel like I get the winter and even the fall blues. I have felt this way in the colder months for as long as I can remember, because it just seems like rough obstacles usually occur for me when it’s cold. With that said, I’m torn with wanting to be like every other person who loves fall and everything it consists of, but I can’t help but feel a little sad inside when the temperature starts to drop.

However, I’m writing this article because I’m determined that fall and winter can still be enjoyable even if it’s a little harder to get out of bed. I have figured out some ways that have helped me keep my mood and mental health in check (for the most part) as we continue to transition to the cold days and the dark nights.

The first thing I would say is to make sure to surround yourself with others that can help you enjoy the wonderful things there are to do during the fall season. There are so many things to do that (as I often forget) really are special to fall and are quite enjoyable, like going to a pumpkin patch, dressing up for Halloween or even just drinking a cup of apple cider. It’s important to keep yourself surrounded by people because I know for me, sometimes when I spend too much time alone my mood tends to just spiral downwards even more. With that being said, it’s equally important to also take some time to pamper yourself, like with a hot shower on a cold night. Maybe even use a new pumpkin flavored soap you bought. Another thing that helps me when the cold weather is dampening my mood is to try and style new outfits that not only keep you warm, but make you feel good. For me, this means wearing my patterned flowy pants with a sweater and a scarf, instead of than with a t-shirt or tank top. Yes, this is a simple and may be a no-brainer thing to do, but I instantly feel a little bit better when I have my favorite patterned pants on.

Those are the main things that I can say help keep my spirits up during this time, but trust me, I’m still trying to figure out things to make these months go by a little bit faster (pictures of cute babies help too). Fall is a great time and full of so many cute Pinterest ideas and just because we get sad, doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to enjoy it. Seasons come and go, so hang in there and take care of yourself, because the warmth will come again, I promise.

Paige is a Social Work major at Virginia Commonwealth University. A cross-over between a writer and a hippie, Paige can be found sitting criss-cross apple sauce on her laptop wearing a headband and flown patterned pants. Hoping to join the Peace Corps one day and see all the world has to offer, she loves the diversity that embodies HerCampus.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!