This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Self-quarantine began exactly a year ago, and I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that life has dramatically changed since. Classes are virtual, activities without a mask are unimaginable and many social gatherings have been restricted. In the midst of all this chaos, I decided to pick up a new hobby—cooking.

I was never an expert at cooking, but I had grown up seeing my grandma make Indian cuisine from scratch. Her cooking method was a work of art to me. The sauces were sauteed with a variety of spices, the poultry was marinated with fresh lemon and yogurt, and the aroma of it all was astonishing. 

I took up cooking as a way to keep myself busy because of the extended spring break and transition to online learning. As you can guess, I started with Indian food, and my grandma was my mentor. She said that baking was the simplest form of cooking for her because it didn’t require much thought—just a great recipe and exact measurements.

We did some googling and found a recipe for a Gulab Jamun cake. Gulab Jamun is a popular dessert in India, and it can be described as a fried dough ball soaked in sweet rose syrup. Using this dessert as the basis for a cake was something I would’ve never thought of. It was exciting. It was new. It was unique. 

Grandma baking with granddaughter
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

My grandma and I spent an entire spring afternoon working on baking this sweet cake. It came out of the oven smelling like a burst of rosewater and cinnamon. As I poured the syrup over the fresh, warm cake, I felt a sense of achievement. I did this. I created something unique from scratch. So, the next week, I decided to bake again.

However, this time I wanted to combine the pistachio flavor from the toppings of the Gulab Jamun cake with the rosewater syrup, and so I came up with the idea of a pistachio cake with rosewater cream cheese frosting. To make it more flavorful, my grandma suggested I add lemon zest in the batter so it can be refreshing on a warm day. 

After this experience, I started to feel more confident to begin combining recipes and flavors to create a unique dish. I made the transition to grilling, and I was able to marinate boneless chicken with lemon juice, yogurt, red chili powder, black pepper and a whole lot of other ingredients to create a spicy and tangy dish for my family. As I practiced my skills with my mentor, I got the feeling that I finally found my creative outlet.

I could express my ideas and my interests through cooking by adding a variety of ingredients and flavors to my dish. I also had a way to challenge myself by creating alternative gluten-free, dairy-free or low sugar recipes for my family members who could not eat a certain ingredient.

This activity allowed me to take a step back from my busy lifestyle so I can enjoy spending time with my loved ones and create delicious food at the same time. I am extremely thankful to my grandmother, who introduced me to cooking and included me in her passion. 

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
VCU Contributor Account