Five International Foods You Have To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If you know me, then you know that I am a huge foodie! I love trying new cuisines and foods that are unique to different cultures. In fact, according to a study done by Harvard Medical School, trying new things challenges our brain and helps good cognition. So don’t feel too guilty about going out with your friends every week! Medicine says it’s okay! Here are five international foods that I recommend trying:

Shahi Paneer

This is a dish I have had since I was born! Shahi Paneer is a dish that originates in India, and it is made with a thick gravy of cream, tomatoes and tons of Indian spices. Paneer is added in the curry and it is usually served with rice or naan. Paneer is very similar to cottage cheese, so if you ever plan on preparing this dish then I would recommend going to an Indian grocery store to buy traditional paneer!

Baklava

I absolutely love this dish! It is one you want to save if you have a sweet tooth like me. It is a sweet pastry made of layers filled with chopped nuts and held together with syrup or honey. This dish originated in the Middle East. The cool part is that you can modify it and change things up to make it to your liking. For example, I have a friend who is allergic to nuts so instead of nuts she adds cinnamon! It is creative, fun and so delicious! I would 10/10 recommend you have this on your bucket list the next time you’re craving dessert.

Patatas Bravas

This is a dish native to Spain and it is made with cubes of potato fried in oil and served warm with a spicy tomato sauce. It is a good one to serve at your next girl’s night with some margaritas!

Phat Kaphrao 

This exciting dish is made with your choice of meat stir-fried in Thai holy basil and garlic. It is served with white rice and fried eggs! It is originally from Thailand and is one of the most popular a la carte dishes, next to pad thai! 

Arancini

If you are craving some Italian food, then this dish might be the one you should try! It orginates in Italy and is stuffed rice balls that are coated in breadcrumbs and then deep fried. This dish can have different twists to it, some people add ham and mozzarella and some even had marinara sauce!

I hope you can try some of these delicious international foods and play with your food palate! There are so many more cuisines and foods that have not been listed above, these are just some that I have heard about from my family and friends. I encourage everyone to do some research and find any new international cuisines to try! It is definitely a unique experience that I assure you, you will not regret it! Happy Eating!

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!