kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fitness Tips for Collegiettes: Staying in Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The end of the year is quickly approaching and all of our favorite holidays are near! These are the times to splurge with our families, share gifts, give thanks and feast on some homemade deliciousness. Unfortunately, with everything comes a consequence! By consequences I mean having to come back to school with a few extra pounds to worry about. I’m here to tell you — it’s okay to splurge, but listen to your body. It will tell you all of the answers and don’t ignore it! If you do ignore the signs your body is giving you, you will wind up eating more than you can handle and feeling sick to your stomach. Here’s how to stay in shape over the holidays.

First, before you head back home, make sure you either have a gym membership, a nearby park or open space to get your workouts in! You do not need a gym membership to stay in shape! The use of your bodyweight is actually one of the best ways to work out. Each and every one of us are different. I, for example, will not accept working out less than five days out of the week. But find something that works for you so you can commit to it and not let yourself down. Whether it is lifting, yoga, pilates, running around the neighborhood, etc. However, exercising is only 30% of what it takes to stay in shape. “You are what you eat” is constantly in my head. This means to not go overboard on your portion size when you’re at your Thanksgiving dinner. Have an evenly portioned plate in front of you, just enough so that you’re satisfied. If you eat too much of something, you will regret it. TRUST ME.

If you’re a health-nut like me, you’ll have a grocery list planned out for when you’re home so you don’t get off track. The only days I will “splurge” are at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. While I’m at home I want to make sure I’m eating the proper foods so it’s not hard for me to get back to the normal routine when I return back to school. Many of us find it easier to stay on track if you have a fitness buddy! Grab a friend/family member and tell them to join the healthy train. Make meals together and hit the gym and make it fun! Who said working out and cooking was boring?!

Make sure to always remind yourself that you can do this. You are strong and you will not get tired because when you are working out — it’s all in your head. Don’t listen to that little voice inside of your head that says you’re tired; KEEP GOING! Surprise yourself and you will get results if you’re 100% committed. Remember to enjoy yourself over the holidays with your loved ones while eating some yummy food & stay healthy my friends!  

Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.