A College Student’s Guide To Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

In an environment where we are all swamped with work and activities, it can be easy to lose track of yourself and your needs in the shuffle. Between going to class, playing on a sports team, paying rent, going to work and getting groceries — taking care of yourself has become less common and far more complex. Although college is such an exciting time with new people and opportunities, it won’t be able to be enjoyed to its fullest until you take time just for yourself.   

Below, I have included a list of things that I do to practice self-care. Self-care looks different for everyone, and there is no correct way to practice self-care — it is a fluid experience. 

exercise

Take a hot girl walk! I feel the calmest and in tune with my body when I exercise. I love to take group classes at the Cary Street Gym. They offer classes for everyone’s interests; my favorite offerings are pilates and yoga. I also play on the club lacrosse team. This not only makes me feel calm and energized, but it also provides me with a community of like-minded friends. 

Read for FUN!

I love taking a couple of minutes out of my day to read a book I enjoy. The thought of school can easily taint the act of reading because of all the textbooks and boring articles, but when you take time to read some fiction, romance, etc., you will be surprised to see how lovely it is. 

Spend time with the people that make you feel best

I am a big people person, so a way that I take care of myself is to schedule times throughout my week to hang out with my best friends. This time is for us to vent, laugh and everything in between. It’s a great refresher, especially if you have a long week. 

Take a day off!

I will take a mental health day if I feel extremely stressed and overwhelmed. Laying in bed all day is okay if that is what your body needs! Listen to your body because she knows more than you sometimes do. 

Treat yourself!

DoorDash some food, buy yourself a Starbucks drink and get those Aerie leggings you want. You deserve to treat yourself from time to time.  

Take some time to pamper yourself!

Take a FULL body shower. Use your body scrubs, yummy spelling soap, face masks, hair masks, etc. 

Journal!

When I feel stressed, I love to write poems in my notebook. Sure, these poems aren’t great, but they help me describe my feelings and make me happy to put my words down on paper. Even writing this article is a form of self-care! 

Have a concert just for yourself.

Plug in your speaker and blast your favorite songs! Be silly and have a dance party; you may be surprised by how good you feel. 

Use affirmations!

I like to look at myself in the mirror each morning to remind myself that I am strong, beautiful, intelligent and kind. Write down the things you love about yourself or want to manifest within yourself, and repeat them each morning to your reflection. 

Listen to your mind and body.

They will lead you in the right direction.

Irelyn Rogan is studying Elementary Education with a minor in Psychology at Virginia Commonwealth University. Irelyn is a third-year student, and this is her fifth semester as a HerCampus journalist! She is very interested in lifestyle, pop culture, and entertainment in general.