7 Unexpected Things That Can Improve Your Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Mental health issues plague even the happiest of people. If you deal with mental health issues, you know that it is oftentimes hard to not let the negative thoughts consume you. One helpful tip is to find things that make life just a little bit better during the dark days. Here are seven more tips that can hopefully improve your overall mental health. 

1. Cuddle

Whether it’s with a SO, a loveable pet or a stuffed animal, holding something close can do a world of good for your mental health. It works to eliminate the feeling of loneliness that those with anxiety, depression and other conditions tend to experience. So, what are you waiting for? Curl up on your couch, wrap a blanket around yourself and cuddle away!

2. Drink Water

You can never hydrate enough. The second you start to feel bad, grab a large cup/bottle, fill that sucker up and keep drinking water until you feel better. Especially for those of us who get emotional when mental health problems rear their head, staying hydrated is immensely important. Think of it this way; for every bit of water you might cry out, fill your body up with twice that amount afterwards. New, impeccably clear skin will be an added bonus, too!

3. Make Art

Whatever your favorite medium might be – painting, sculpture, theatre, singing or instrumental music – create something. It doesn’t matter what you make because, oftentimes, just creating something out of nothing is enough to improve your mental state. Try not to have a goal in mind. Don’t give yourself any parameters. The freer your mind is, the better you will feel afterwards.

4. Watch a Good Movie

Disney movies are the recommended option here, but anything will do. Choose something that makes you feel happy or comfortable. Or, something that will take your mind off of whatever is troubling you. Watch any movie about dogs – that’s sure to make any situation better!

5. Get Your Nails/Hair Done

#SelfLoveSunday? More like #SelfLoveEveryday. If you are feeling particularly blue, treat yo’ self with a body care day. Getting pampered is one of the best feel-good things you can do, because not only does it help you relax, but you come out of it feeling and looking like a new person.

6. Clean Your Space

Noting says “I feel terrible, and I’m going to feel terrible forever,” like living somewhere filled with clutter. A disorganized space can make a mind feel disorganized, too. So, turn some music on, open up the windows and get cleaning! Bonus points for being only partially clothed and dancing around while you de-clutter.

7. Get Messy

Hello, contradictions! Although it’s good to be clean and tidy while feeling badly, a mindful mess can sometimes help, too. (Especially if you tend to get angry when you have mental health episodes). Don’t go making a mess all willy-nilly, though. You don’t want to have a lot to clean up when you’re finished. Instead, spray some shaving cream on a mirror and draw. Use eyeliner and draw on yourself. Tear up old school papers you no longer need. Buy a “wreck this” journal. You will feel very satisfied with yourself after.

There you have it! No matter what method you prefer to ease the pain of mental health episodes, just be sure that you take care of yourself. Whatever you need to do to live a happier, healthier life – do it. Also remember, you are smart, beautiful and worthwhile! You’ve got this!

Photo credit: Cover image, 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!