neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Ensure a Better Night’s Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As much as we tell ourselves that staying up late to work on an assignment or watching Netflix are good decisions, they’re not. Sleep is not only absolutely essential to being able to properly function the next day, studies have shown it also helps promote overall longevity and even helps you stick to your diet. For better results at the gym, don’t turn to a personal trainer. Turn to extra sleep. As we all know, body repair is a huge component of the sleep process. Body repair happens in a deep phase of sleep and helps to restore the soreness from the gym, helping you get back in there sooner to achieve your dream body. Go get ’em, tiger. Here are some easy ways to ensure you’re getting an optimal night’s sleep. 

1. Don’t go on your phone before bed.

Studies have shown that screens of any sort (iPads, e-readers, etc.) can severely impact your sleep quality by making you feel less sleepy, making you take longer to fall asleep and shortening REM sleep. People who used screens shortly before going to bed also produce less melatonin while asleep, which helps to regulate the sleep cycle. Try putting your phone away and picking up a book or journal around an hour before trying to fall asleep.

2. Take a hot shower before bed.

In my personal experience, an impossibly hot shower soon before bed tuckers me out. Studies have shown that getting out of the shower around an hour and a half before your intended bedtime will create the perfect bodily condition for sleep. Our circadian rhythm tells us when we should be alert and when we should fall asleep. Your body is “warmed up” until the afternoon, when it starts to cool down and prepare for sleep over the course of several hours. Creating this process over again with a hot shower and then allowing the body to cool down before allows for the ideal night’s sleep.

3. Spend some quality time in the fresh air.

My grandparents have a farm and some of my fondest memories include running around outside in the sunlight and sleeping like a baby afterwards. Studies have shown that being exposed to natural light helps promote a great night’s sleep. Get out of your stuffy little apartment and secure yourself both a good night’s sleep and improved well-being.

4. Spray some lavender fragrance on your pillow.

The aroma of lavender helps to slow the heart rate, slow blood pressure and put you in a more relaxed state. And as an added bonus, it smells wonderful. Some studies have shown that lavender works better as a part of a relaxing bedtime routine than an actual remedy for more serious and continuous sleep issues such as insomnia, but using lavender will do no harm. Try using a lavender body wash and drinking a cup of lavender tea prior to attempting to sleep on your newly fragranced pillow.

5. Drink a cup of green tea before bed.

Not only does green tea have a caffeine dosage low enough to not disrupt sleep, it also has its own sleep benefits. Green tea has an amino acid called L-theanine, which plays an important role in relaxation and sleep. Next time you’re craving something to drink before bed, boil some water and steep yourself a cup of relaxing green tea.

Next time you’re tossing and turning, turn to one of these remedies to wake up feeling refreshed and ready to start the day!

Photo credit: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Madeline Wheeler is a journalist major with a focus in print and online journalism at VCU. In her free time, she enjoys drinking floral teas, going to underground concerts in smoky basements, and hunting for keys to the past in antique stores.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!