stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To Pull or Not to Pull: Detoxing with Oil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

What if I told you that every morning for the past three weeks, I’ve swished a tablespoon of oil around in my mouth? And what if I told you that it’s actually been one of the most incredible things for my health, my mental clarity, and my pearly whites?

Whether you’ve heard the hype or are new to the game, oil pulling is no joke (though admittedly, it sounds pretty ridiculous). This ancient Ayurvedic method of detox involves swishing oil—like you would mouthwash—around in your mouth in order to ‘pull’ or draw out toxins and bacteria. According to Scott Gerson, medical director of the National Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine, the oil “absorbs undigested and partially digested products of food and desquamated cells out of the oral cavity…[which are] a toxic substance for the body.” The result? Elimination of germs and bacteria, plus a plethora of other awesome results.

Some people even allege that oil pulling can cure everything from crooked teeth to graying hair, though the most commonly reported benefits are listed below:

·      whiter teeth

·      increased energy

·      decreased ‘fogginess’

·      relief from sinus congestion

·      clearer, glowing skin

·      better sleep

·      decreased migraine headaches

·      reduced hangover symptoms

Since oil pulling has been getting a lot of lip service lately in the blogosphere, with users reporting enticingly positive results, I simply knew I had to try it for myself.

Initially, I was nauseated by the idea of swirling a tablespoon of oil around in my mouth for an entire twenty minutes. I’ll admit that it is definitely a foreign sensation at first, and one that you have to get used to; however, after doing it about three or four times, it started to feel normal—nice, even! My teeth have become noticeably whiter, they feel as clean as if I’d just visited the dentist, and I’ve found that I feel energized and purified after my morning swish. 

While I won’t pretend that I have magically attained Kim Kardashian’s glow or suddenly sleep like a baby every night, I have definitely seen some real results. And with continued use, they are reported to only get better. Whether you hope to benefit from one of the many claims listed above, or just want to try another method of detox that doesn’t involve dropping $200 and subsisting on nothing but green juice for three days, I highly recommend you give it a go! You have nothing to lose and so much to gain—so hop on the trend, and add oil pulling to your morning routine!

Here’s the low down if you plan to try oil pulling for yourself:

1.     Select an oil. Typically, sesame, coconut, or sunflower are preferred, though I have heard some people finding success with olive oil. Most importantly, always make sure your oil is cold-pressed and unrefined.

2.     Pour a tablespoon of oil into your mouth (note: beginners can start with a teaspoon and work their way up). It is highly recommended that you do this in the morning, as soon as you wake up, and on an empty stomach, to get the most out of your detox. Next, proceed to swish the oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes—you don’t want this to be a vigorous action, as your cheeks will likely become sore almost immediately. Instead, you want to swish slowly and methodically, making sure the oil reaches every part of your mouth, including in between your teeth. Initially, this is going be somewhat difficult and feel unnatural. Its completely fine if you only last 5 minutes the first time! But keep at it, because I promise that it not only gets easier, it actually becomes pleasurable. It’s my favorite part of the morning and without fail makes me feel refreshed, cleansed, and energized, ready to start my day.

3.     Once you are ready to spit the oil out, make sure NOT to spit into a sink, as many users report that it tends to clog drains. Instead, simply spit into a trashcan or into a cup.

4.     Finally, I suggest swishing with a few sips of warm salt water to ensure there is no oily residue left behind—you don’t want to re-absorb the toxins that you just extracted! Follow with a thorough brushing of your teeth.  

And…there you have it! Oil pulling might be one of the more unusual detox methods out there, but its also one of the easiest and most effective. I sincerely hope that you give it a try and see what it can do for you. I suggest swishing the oil around for 20 minutes during your morning shower, while you watch TV, while you browse Pinterest, etc.—just make sure stick with it for at least a week before you decide whether it’s right for you. You just might surprise yourself and end up becoming a devotee of oil pulling, just like me!

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.