This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I love hanging out with people just as much as the next person. Being in a community, building and strengthening friendships, bonding and going to events are all awesome things. However, sometimes we all need time to ourselves. Your body needs time for itself. Spending time with yourself is beneficial. It helps you love yourself more.

According to Forbes, “Studies show the ability to tolerate alone time has been linked to increased happiness, better life satisfaction, and improved stress management. People who enjoy alone time experience less depression.”

Have you ever spent all day with your friends and could not wait until you got home? That has happened to me multiple times before. I use to be scared to tell a friend NO. Fear of missing out use to get the best of me. I had to learn overtime that it is indeed okay to say no. Our body can be drained out with constant social interaction.

Kayla Bacon-Team Building 2
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

If you do not want to tell your friends NO, you can say, “not today” or “maybe another time” Last year, I was the new transfer student, so anytime someone asked me to hang out my reply was always YES. That was part of the reason why I was always broke. Now, I just tell friends we need to rain check for another day. 

At my University, we have an enormous front lawn. It’s part of what the college is known for. I love to take my blanket or hammock out on the front lawn and grab a book and snacks and just breathe. I love bringing my Bible and a notebook and writing different devotions. Whatever you like to do, make it happen. Even if that means sleeping in peace and quiet. Go for it! 

Unsplash

Concluding, no one’s mental health is more important than your own. Catch up on your favorite books or television shows. Treat yourself at the spa. 

Love Yourself. <3

Ciara Jones

Valdosta '20

Hello, Ciara Jones is a "Senior" at Valdosta State University, majoring in Mass Media. After she graduates, she is planning to go into ministry working with communication media and journalism. She has a passion for Jesus, writing, kids and food. She loves attending bonfires and concerts on her free time.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.