This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Quinoa has quickly become a superfood in the health world. Almost every healthy dish features this grain as a great pairing. Quinoa is highly versatile and can be incorporated in many different ways. First, what is quinoa exactly? Well, it is a grain crop that is grown for its edible seeds. Now, for a little history, the people of the Inca Empire thought of this crop to be sacred. It was a very important crop for them. There were religious festivals that included the offering of quinoa to their gods. 

There are over 120 different varieties, but there are three main types of quinoa. There is red, black, and white. Quinoa contains many health benefits. It is a complete protein—this means it contains all nine of the essential amino acids. This can’t be made by the body, so it comes from food. It is a wonderful choice for people who are allergic or choose not to consume gluten because it is gluten-free. It is also high in fiber. Fiber can help reduce high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and help weight loss. Another benefit is that quinoa is high in minerals that people do not get enough of, especially magnesium. It also contains potassium, zinc, and iron. In addition, it is full of antioxidants. Antioxidants protects the body from harm caused by harmful molecules. There are many more benefits, and these are just a few to name!

Quinoa can be incorporated into salads, soups, with vegetables, and etc. It is easy to prepare and cook! Rinse the quinoa like you would with rice. Then, add 2-part water to one-part quinoa. You could also use chicken or vegetable broth. Like mentioned earlier, it is a versatile superfood. If you look up how to cook quinoa, you will find many helpful links and recipes. Quinoa has become more popular in the health world. It helps the effect of fullness. This is why it’s just a great weight loss tool. It has been commonly eaten in South America for thousands of years. So, if you are trying to eat healthier or find a substitute, try quinoa! 

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.