This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.
“You are not your illness. You have an individual story to tell. You have a name, a history, a personality. Staying yourself is part of the battle.” ― Julian Seifter

Being in college is hard, but having a mental illness makes it harder. Mental health shouldn’t be stigmatized, regardless of your culture or who you are. In college, you are expected to maintain good grades, a stable social life, and a job. The struggles of trying to get out of your bed and go to class are already hard enough. The fear of falling behind in school or not making friends is so discouraging. Especially, if you have no one to talk to about it. I wanted to point out some helpful resources that college students (and high school students) can use for FREE or at a DISCOUNTED rate. Let’s move forward and have growth.  

• CIMHS
    • CIMHS is a FREE website dedicated to helping those dealing with depression, stress or anxiety. They offer an interactive 8 session program to teach coping mechanisms, benefits of venting, etc. I recommend it a lot to people as it’s had great success stories. 
  • ​​​7 CUPS
    • 7 Cups is a mental health hotline run by online volunteers such as myself. They offer 24/7 online support with trained volunteers, allow you to join small support groups and provide discounted therapy. 
  • BetterHelp
    • BetterHelp is an online website that provides DISCOUNTED therapy to users through their phones. This is a great resource if you get nervous with face-to-face therapy. BetterHelp provides everything from texting to Skype sessions. You can also get HUGE discounts if you are a college student, low income, etc. 
  • School Counseling Center
    • VState cares about your mental health. You can take classes on how to handle stress, join group therapy sessions, get one-on-one counseling, etc. This is a great FREE resource provided by the school and is definitely worth trying out.

All of these tools are great resources for students to use. They are effective and confidential, so let’s start off making the change. I love you.

-HXCO

Nicolette is a junior at Valdosta State University, majoring in Communications with an emphasis in social media and interpersonal. She is also a digital content creator and freelance writer for Thought Catalog. Nicolette is also an avid coffee drinker, animal lover, and anime/marvel fanatic. Nicolette has a passion for catching up with the latest social media trends, writing and networking. Her dream career would be a social media manager or marketing coordinator.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.