This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

You may feel as if you’re the only girl in the world who has a problem with your stomach, arms, chin, thighs etc. Well girl, you’re not alone, not by a long shot. Many people have issues with their body, but being plus size doesn’t mean you have to resent the pudge or your thick thighs. Resenting your body and constantly thinking negative thoughts about yourself can consume your every thought. You start to become depressed. While your friends are enjoying life, you decide to sit at home because you feel as though you can’t be seen in public. Trust me I’ve been there. Time and time again.

But once you start seeing yourself as the queen that you are, accepting compliments, showing a little bit more skin than usual and not being afraid to be yourself, it no longer becomes a chore. Embracing it is the first step to confidence, and the second is realizing that these models in pictures are immensely edited. You can work out, go on a healthy diet, but please don’t expect to look like Miracle Watts who has paid for most of her lower body. That’s why I’m so excited for the plus size models that have been emerging in the media. Slowly but surely people are seeing the beauty that thick women posess. Women like Ashley Graham, Gabi Gregg, Marquita Pring, and many more are starting to be noticed and have been giving plus size women the platform we need and deserve. Their confidence and health conscious mindset is a personal goal of mine that I would like to posess.

Working towards a goal and becoming healthy should be the backbone to your success, not the thirst to become someone you’re not. Be true to who you are and your body. If you decide to take the journey of losing weight and changing your lifestyle, congratulations! Changing yourself for the right reasons is a hard and long marathon, being consistent means your strong and have the willpower. But remember you can be voluptuous and healthy don’t let the media or anyone else tell you any different. You can keep the pudge and the extra meat while having the health of a smaller athlete. After that, don’t worry about how people see you. People see confidence and if you see yourself as beautiful, others will follow.  

“Be proud of who you are, and not ashamed of how someone else sees you.” HCXO!

Erin Turner is originally from Los Angeles, California. She attends Valdosta State University as an english/journalism major. Her dream is to become an editor for a hip hop magazine. She enjoys listening to jazz and rap, reading magazines, and being around family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: wsstco
Her Campus at Valdosta State.