Hygiene Time! When Was I Supposed To Change That Again?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Okay, so you’ve been sleeping in those sheets for who knows how long now and you haven’t even thought about changing them. Or, maybe you just forgot during your laundry day. What about that toothbrush you got probably, I don’t know, 6 months ago? Or that bath sponge you’ve had for over a year now? Yeah, gross right? But it’s okay because many of us do not know when it’s time to change the everyday things we use for hygiene. That’s why I am here to help you! Below are some household items we use daily and when we need to replace them!

The Bath Sponge

“Ohhhh this feels sooooo good!” you say as you use this with your favorite body wash. But did you know this sponge holds a plethora of dead skin cells and bacteria? YIKES!

Replace: Every 1-2 months – you can also disinfect your sponge every 2-3 days!

The Toothbrush

Brush, brush, brush those teeth! 2 times a day or after every meal is what our dentist says. With that much frequent brushing, it’ll be time to change your brush in no time.

Replace: Every 3-4 months, or when the bristles start to wear down

Linen

I understand forgetting about changing sheets and pillowcases in a reasonable amount of time. But this is very important, especially bed linen. You sweat, you drool, and you probably even eat on your bed. You do not want BED BUGS!

Replace: Anywhere from every week to once a month. (Why such a big gap? Many people have allergies requiring them to change their sheets everyday/weekly!)

It goes the same for pillowcases! However, you need to wash your actual pillows once or twice a year!

Towels

From the cloth you use as a face cloth and body cloth to the towel you dry off with. I know you know it’s obvious these need to be washed. But how often do you need to switch out your towels? And what about that bath rug?

Replace: every 3-5 times they are USED for towels, wash your bath rug once a week!

Mass Media Major and AFAM Minor and Valdosta State University. 21. Old soul. Cancer.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.