This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For me, autonomy has always been one of my most precious and essential values. Independence for me is equal to that of freedom and it will always be. But after spending a few months in my college apartment I couldn’t shake the uneasiness and depression that had seemingly taken over me. That’s what I knew it was time to visit home again and it might be time for you as well. Here are some ways that I realized that maybe it was time to visit after all.

a woman holds her hands over her face
Photo by Anthony Tran from Unsplash

Before I begin and I would like to preface that I currently go to a college that is around four to five hours away from my home so it is drivable but it’s really a whole day affair. That is one of the main reasons why I found myself unable to go home. Especially due to the fact that I don’t own a car and if I wanted to go home I’d have to use public transportation. With spring break becoming virtually non-existent in the coronavirus world we live in and being replaced with that of wellness days which is a whole another problem that I’ll talk about someday. I found myself realizing that I wouldn’t be able to go home I wouldn’t be able to see my parents see my dogs see my siblings for 6 months until school for that semester ended. In the beginning, I was okay with that fact or at least I tried to tell myself I was okay, but soon I realized that wasn’t the case.

sad and alone girl breakup
Photo by _Mxsh_ from Unsplash
The first sign I think that I noticed, in particular, was that I didn’t want to leave my room, or more specifically I didn’t have the motivation to do much of anything other than laying in my bed. I felt as if I was suffocating in my tiny apartment bedroom and in a time where coronavirus is a very present issue people aren’t very touchy-feely I would say. I just wanted to hug my mom, my dad, my dogs and I couldn’t and it made me feel like I was the only person in the world.

Woman smiling in sunflower field
Photo by Eye for Ebony from Unsplash

So after a lot of deliberation and stress on my part, I decided to just well screw it and take a week off and go home. And let me just say I’m so happy that I made the decision seeing my parents again after almost 3 months was very therapeutic for me. And while sometimes I do worry that I am getting too attached and I need to be more independent I realize that Independence doesn’t have to mean loneliness and then I’m allowed to be happy and you should be too.

Hello, my names Yetunde Oluwadare (pronounced Yeah-tune-day) I am 18 years old and a freshman at VSU. I love to paint, draw, and cook in my free time and I'm also a psychology major.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.