This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Valdosta can get pretty stressful and sometimes we can feel like there’s nowhere to escape. Trust me I know the feeling! On several occasions, I find it useful to just turn off my phone and go somewhere to relax and clear my mind. If you live in the Valdosta area or any area, then I’m here to offer my top three places for relaxation. These places allow me to center my soul and calm my vibrations.

1. The Front Lawn

If you go to VSU, then I’m pretty sure that you’re aware of how peaceful the front lawn can be. I  like to go here in the morning around 9 AM on my free days and just relax or dance around. I look forward to feeling free and calm whenever I’m on the front lawn. Any large open space, in a park, for instance, is a good place to run around and do cartwheels with no care of judgment from others. Be free, be you.. 

2. Walking the Trail

This is another calm spot for VSU students to turn to for a sense of peace. If you go by the Sustella parking deck on the right you will notice a trail that leads to deep into the forest. This is usually where CORE Outdoors has its obstacle courses, but it can also be used for peaceful walking during the day or night time (if the darkness doesn’t scare you). It’s there, where I like to think about things and solve some of the most complex problems that I’m dealing with. I feel like taking walks through this area is slowly helping me reach self-actualization.

3. Downtown

Now you might be thinking with all the cars and people passing by, this area is far from relaxing, but taking in the nice scenery and having a mini photo shoot in this area can actually be a great way to relax. Plus I enjoy the aesthetic of looking like a chic black girl and having the background to match. Just a side tip for this area as well: if the people and the cars become an unpleasing sound for you, just pop in your favorite R&B tune and strut down the sidewalks! This applies the same for people in another area as well. Walking downtown, where it’s nice and contained with a lot of stores for good window shopping, can be a good place to clear the mind.

With it being the middle of the semester, I’m sure most of us are about to lose our heads and will need places to go where we can relax and let go. In life, there will be many moments when things seem to be unbearable. Just remember, it is important to have frequent moments of relaxation so you can operate better throughout the day. Peace and Love people!

– HCXO!

Kylah Gilbert

Valdosta '20

My name is Kylah Gilbert. I am a 20 year old Juniorish at Valdosta State University. My writing is an insight to who I am as a person. So welcome to me as a person.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.