7 of My Favorite Recipes From Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Let me start off by saying this: I love to cook.

I’ve been doing it since before I was tall enough to reach the stove on my own. I grew up making fake dinners for my Bratz dolls with plastic food, Play-Doh and dirt, and eventually graduated to making meals for my family. As a college student, I love the weekends when I’m finally able to head to the farmer’s market and make a meal for myself. Not only do I find it therapeutic, but cooking for myself has given me the opportunity to experiment in a way that isn’t always possible when you’re cooking for a family. I’m more willing to take risks and try new things. If they don’t turn out right, Wendy’s is open ’till midnight. 

I’ve stepped out of that ‘hamburgers and french fries’ comfort zone and tried some amazing and culturally diverse meals. Here are seven of my favorite recipes from around the world:

1. Chicken Tikka Masala (from Punjab, India)

This is the first Indian dish I learned to make, and it’s by far my favorite. It’s popular in Indian cuisine and is actually a staple dish in the United Kingdom. Chicken tikka masala is chunked chicken breast in a creamy spiced curry sauce. The sauce has a tomato base with onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk and other flavors added during cooking. There’s something comforting and familiar about this chicken and sauce over rice that makes you want to curl up under a blanket on a rainy day. My family aren’t the most adventurous eaters, but they enjoy this every time I make it for them. I usually make a large batch in a big pot, so I have leftovers for the next few days. You can find the recipe I use here

2. Arroz Con Pollo (from Honduras)

Disclaimer: Although I attribute this recipe to Honduras, arroz con pollo is made in many cultures throughout Central and South America. The particular recipe that I use was prepared by a Honduran woman the way her mother made it for her growing up. Arroz con pollo, or “rice with chicken” in English, is basically as simple as it sounds. The spices and cooking methods in this recipe are what make this dish one of my favorite things to cook. 

Preyah James

Valdosta '18

Preyah is a senior studying briology and journalism at Valdosta State University. Originally from Riverdale, GA, Preyah is president and Campus Correspondant for VSU's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not studying for a genetics test, Preyah loves to cook, read and watch Game of Thrones. Post-graduation, she plans to pursue a career in science writing and journalism, hoping to work for National Geographic.