Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

10 Ways to Get Fit- A Guide for Lazy People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Let’s be honest, getting in shape is not an easy task. There is no exact way to do it fast and gain quick consistent results but there are tips and tricks to make the process a bit easier. Here today, I will spill all of the juicy deets on how, as a lazy person, to get in shape for the new year. 

Make a Exercise Playlist 

To start things off, make a playlist. Not just any playlist, one that will get your body pumping and energy going. It can be anything from Heavy Metal to Trap or anything in between. Playing your best songs will allow you to zone in so much on the music that you won’t even notice that you just ran 2 miles. 

Walk for 20 Minutes

This trick is pretty simple, just walk 20 minutes every day. Your walk can be the first thing you do in the more, the last thing you do at night, or a random thing you do in your evening. Let your legs to you to your new destination and enjoy whatever you may see. Maybe like seeing your neighbor’s cute golden retriever or that golden retriever’s cute neighbor. 

Stand Up and Move

Sitting down all day is bad for you, we have heard that time and time again, but seriously, it is bad for you. Hunched over your computer during your Zoom meeting, your snack that is supposed to be your lunch, the couch while watching Fargo for hours. It is all bad. So stand up! Stand put while you watching your shows, maybe walking around and make sure your legs still work. Give yourself an excuse to do whatever. 

5 for 5 

No this is not a fast-food dollar menu deal. The 5 for 5 in numerous ways and it all depends on how you carter it to you. You can do the 5 exercises and for 5 minutes each. Jumping jacks, high knees, squats, stretches, or maybe even planking, if you’re tough enough. 

The other way you can complete the 5 for 5 is by doing an exercise five times every day. This allows you to build up your skill. You can do five sit-ups or five push-ups, and once you feel as though you can push yourself further, you can go up to ten. 

Don’t Stand Up and Move

Don’t want to get up? I understand, there are exercises for that too. You can do yoga, simple stretches, leg lifts, bench presses, planks, or I don’t know maybe have sex. These are all very physical activities, some more fun than others. 

Relax

Relaxing also means to have patience with yourself. You know your limits so you should never force yourself to do something that your body can’t do. If you need a break to just some water or just put your hands over your hand, you can do that. When it comes to getting fit it also means to make a better you so take your time. 

Do Your Research

Doing your research allows you to prep yourself for the journey that you are about to embark on. Figure out what you want to focus on: is it getting a slimmer stomach or maybe strengthening your core? Your research gets you to create a game plan and helps you reach your goal faster. 

Buy Workout Clothes

Who doesn’t love getting new clothes? This time make it workout clothes. This will get you more motivated to go for your morning jog plus you’ll look really good in your new leggings. 

Make an Exercise Group

For some, we need others in order to be motivated. Since we are in a pandemic not everyone is keen on being around each other to exercise but that does not mean there aren’t solutions. You can do Zoom workouts and have one friend be the instructor for the day and have alternate for each session.  Another way is by tracking each other, this makes sure you can keep your friends accountable for the days they are slacking. 

Just Have Fun

Getting fit is a “you” thing and only you so make the most of your experience. Your routine can be as crazy or as boring as you would like just make it work for you. Dance around the house as you clean your room or go on a jog and pretend that you are Rocky Balboa. Just have fun. 

Jasmin Small

Valdosta '23

Hey ladies!! I am a student Valdosta State University. (Class of 2023 WHOOP WHOOP) I major in journalism and minor in mass media. I'm a pretty fun person to be around (at least I hope that I am).