samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways You Can Survive Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Whether you’re a freshman about to experience it for the first time or a soon-to-be graduating senior who has seen it come and go many times, midterms sneak up on all of us before we know it. Between exams, group projects, essays and presentations, midterms can serve as a potential wake-up call for how the rest of the semester can play out. It’s important to take care of your physical and mental well-being. Here are 5 ways you can conquer and survive this upcoming midterm season.

1) Organization

I have always been a little obsessive when it comes to my planner. I color-code my classes and work schedules, highlight important information and cross everything out as I move down my list of things to-do. Although organization is a hit or miss for some, for me, it has developed into an organizational strategy. Especially during midterms, when life gets a little hectic, sitting down and writing out everything you have to get done helps a lot. Even if the list of things to-do is a few pages long, there is no better feeling then crossing out everything on that list one by one. 

2) Yoga

Calling all yogis! Did you know yoga is the best form of mental stress relief a person can experience? Certain poses improve and benefit certain parts of the body and mind. For instance, my personal favorite is the shoulder stance. In this pose, you are balancing on your shoulders and upper back with your legs pointed straight up. This pose helps with circulation to the brain, improves digestion and relieves stress. Many of yoga poses help a person keep their brain and body circulating and stress-free. Even if it’s for 15 minutes, give it a try!

3) Naps

What is one thing college students love more than free food? Designated nap times. Even if it’s just for 20-minutes, being able to shut down for a brief moment can go a long way. Sleep is so important and many college students get very limited hours every night. During midterms especially, rest your mind and relax. Remember to always take care of yourself first. 

4) Study Groups

Sometimes, there is no better feeling then finding someone in your class who is just as confused as you are about what is being discussed in lecture. Together, you two can relate and help one another understand what is going on in that class. Studying in groups is beneficial because everyone can feed off one another’s ideas. Who knows, you may have missed an important concept in class and someone understood it completely and is able to explain it perfectly to you. 

5) The Holidays are Just Around the Corner 

One good thing about midterms is knowing the second half of the semester is one step closer to a very special time of year. Take a break from studying and go online to find holiday decorations for your house/apartment, fun holiday recipes or social events happening around the holidays. Let’s be real, it is never too early to start planning for the holidays, right? Give yourself something to look forward to and work towards throughout the remaining of the semester. 

Just a 22-year-old Wisconsin college student with a whole lot of Minnesota pride. You can catch me serving coffee, watching netflix and exploring as many new places as I can.