Wellness

My go-to Foods for when I am Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

With exams just around the corner, paired with the cooler weather, now is the time when everybody starts to get sick. I find that I always get sick just before Christmas no matter how many times I wash my hands or how little I leave the house. Anytime I was sick growing up, whether it was an upset stomach and headache, or the worst flu imaginable, my mom always told me the same thing: the most important thing to get better is to eat and stay hydrated. Thanks to her advice, I have a curated artillery of foods and drinks to get me through any stuffy nose, fever, or cold.

Soup

Although I’d eat soup on any old day, I can’t deny the magical healing powers that a bowl of chicken noodle soup has when you are all bundled up in blankets but still can’t seem to get warm. Doesn’t matter if it’s soup, stew, or even some noodles, a hot liquid-based meal is a win in my books. Whenever I am sick with an upset stomach or built-up sinuses I do my best to stay away from any cheese or dairy-based soups and try to stick to clear broths. I’m also not picky about the origins of the soup. Sure homemade soup is nice but I’ll gladly make myself soup right from the can; if it’s hot it works for me!

Popsicles

Sometimes you just have those days when I’m sick where I just cannot stomach anything. I’m not hungry but I am so tired from not eating anything. That’s when Popsicles come into play. Popsicles are a super easy way to stay hydrated and get a quick dose to boost my energy. There are a variety of flavours  I can buy and are super convenient to keep in the freezer even on days when I have a sore throat. I try to stay away from dairy-based popsicles and only get ones made of juice, just in case I have an upset stomach when I need them.

Ginger Ale

Ginger ale is my go-to drink for when I am sick. It might be 10 a.m. but if I have a bloated upset stomach you best believe I will be pouring myself a glass of ginger ale. As a Canadian, I must be transparent with the fact that I am biased toward Canada Dry ginger ale. I’ve had other brands before, and I do enjoy Vernors every now and again, but Canada Dry is truly where it’s at!

Teas and Hot Water

When I’m sick, I try and do my best to drink as much water as possible, but there are times where I just can’t drink it. I will often drink lots of herbal and green teas, or even just hot water with lemon and honey. It keeps me hydrated and helps to soothe a sore throat or settle an upset stomach.

The BRAT Diet

The BRAT diet is made up of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. These are all foods that are easy to eat and digest on days that I am not feeling good. I use this as a general guideline for when I am at my worst and include similar foods such as oatmeal and saltine crackers too.

Cough Drops and Vitamin C

During the cold season, I always make sure I have a pack of cough drops and some vitamin C packets in my purse at all times. When it comes to cough drops, I try to go for Buckley’s; it tastes bad, but it works. When I can’t find Buckley’s, Ricola and Fisherman’s Friends are good substitutes. I also do my best to keep Emergen-C powder packets or Gatorade bottles stocked whenever I may need them.

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!