books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Power Through Required Courses That Put You to Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

As we begin the winter semester, most of us are adjusting to a schedule filled with new topics and workloads. Completing all of the requirements on one’s degree audit can be a daunting task, and if you’re anything like me, chances are you’ve put off a few of the more tedious or boring classes required for your program. If this is the semester where you have to finally face your fears and take that dreaded anatomy class or sit through three hours of philosophy, here are some tips that might make it a bit more bearable.

Do the readings/homework for that class first.

Choosing to spend time on your least favourite subject first may not be everyone’s go-to strategy, but the sooner you get it over with, the sooner you’ll be finished and able to spend time on other activities. If you start your library time with a class that peaks your interest it may be easier to complete, but chances are you’ll run out of energy by the time you’re forced to move on to the less enticing task. Just get it over with!

Try to attend every class/lab session.

Even housework may sound preferable to attending this class, but try to fight the urge to skip. The more you attend class, the more familiar you’ll be with the material, which translates into less study time during finals.

Find at least one friend to suffer alongside.

If none of your friends are required to take this class, try making conversation with the person sitting next to you. Having someone to bounce ideas off of and double-check that you’re on the right track is crucial for having a good semester. Plus, maybe they actually enjoy the subject area and some enthusiasm will rub off on you!

Time flies when you’re busy with school, extracurriculars, and maybe even a social life. It’s great when each class in a given semester is interesting and enjoyable, but chances are this is not always the case. When it comes to getting through less than pleasant subject areas, a little extra work and time management may be the answer to a successfully completed degree requirement.

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.