Sweatpants Against A Wall
Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Wellness

How to Keep Your Mental Health in Check While at Home 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I am lucky to have a home that I feel comfortable in – I have a close family, enough personal space, and pets to spend time with during this period of self-isolation. However, not everyone is lucky enough to have this degree of comfort at home. Whether you go to school in a different city or spend a lot of time out of the house, the transition to staying at home full-time can be taxing on your mental health. Below are four mental health tips that might ease your anxiety in this time of uncertainty.

1.     Get some fresh air (if possible)

Nothing puts me in a better mood than getting outside after being trapped in my house for days on end. If you live in an area where there is enough space to maintain social distancing, getting outside for a quick walk or jog will do wonders to boost your mood and take care of your mental health during this period of self-isolation.

2.     Plan Skype dates with friends

Even though you can’t physically visit your friends, Skype is a great way to stay in contact and distract yourself from everything going on. There is also an app called “House Party” that allows you to video chat with multiple people at once; my friends and I are planning a self-isolation party this weekend through the app to lift our spirits!

3.     Try to fit in one mindful activity each day

Whether you find peace through journaling, meditation, or yoga, there are lots of options to support mindfulness and your mental health during this difficult time. Activities such as these can clear your mind and put you in a better headspace; yoga does the trick for me. Find what mindful activity works for you and stick with it!

4.     Let go of the guilt!

It can be very hard to transition from an on-the-go lifestyle to doing everything from home. For many people, this transition can be very taxing on mental health and can actually increase stress levels. As hard as it may be, try to let go of the guilt. This situation is out of our control and all we can do is self-isolate until it’s over; now is the perfect time to binge watch your favourite Netflix show and not feel guilty for it!

COVID-19 has impacted the entire globe and caused many lives to be put on hold. It can be very hard to keep your mental health in check during this time, especially if you aren’t comfortable spending every day at home. Regardless, there are always options to improve your situation, whether that is going for a run outside or binging Netflix from the comfort of your bed. However you choose to spend this time, make sure to stay safe and continue practicing social distancing.

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.