This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

When signing up at the gym, it’s likely you’ve encountered (or will encounter) some promotions regarding personal trainers. While the idea is great, it may be off-putting, as trainers can be quite expensive—averaging at about $50 per hour. Besides, it’s intimidating, isn’t it? Maybe it’s your first time at the gym, maybe you’re not an athlete, and maybe you’re a little shy and would rather exercise in an invisibility cloak. To suddenly be placed under the scrutiny of a professional, of course it’s a bit alarming. Nevertheless, if you do have the chance to get a trainer—whether it’s for a week or for a few months—I recommend it. After all, trainers know what they’re doing, and you’d be surprised at what you can learn.

Profit Over Injury

Over this past Reading Week, I bit the bullet and splurged a little on a personal trainer. While training had originally not been part of my plan, a gym employee convinced me it would be good to take advantage of the opportunity and learn how to exercise properly. To be honest, I mostly splurged she was a persuasive salesperson. However, after the first session, I realized the usefulness of having a trainer, especially at the beginning of a gym membership. Squats, lunges, and pushups—these are basic exercises that I have known how to do since I was in elementary school—or so I thought. Within the first day, I realized that I had been doing everything wrong, putting myself at risk for injury. My trainer showed me how to perform the exercises properly, and all of a sudden the habitual pain I experienced in my joints diminished and eventually disappeared. Not only that, but the exercises suddenly became more difficult as well as more effective.

Routine Over Indecision

In the past, when I went to the gym, I was overwhelmed with choices and therefore was plagued by indecision. For about an hour every once in a while, I fiddled with weights and tinkered with bulky machines. I never really knew what I was doing. A friend of mine had told me to “work out until it hurts,” and so I messed around until I made sure I couldn’t walk the next morning. In retrospect, that probably wasn’t a good thing. When I attended my training sessions, my trainer helped me to establish a routine that I could confidently do without overthinking, and he assured me that I didn’t have to hurt myself in order to make the most out of exercise. When you know what you’re doing and you’re not hurting yourself, the gym suddenly doesn’t seem so scary.

Confidence Over Timidity

In the back of my mind, when I chose to get a trainer, I knew I was going to have to exercise in the middle of the gym, right where everyone could see me. I knew I wouldn’t be able to hide in a comfortable little nook within the women’s section. I knew it, and I did it anyways. Part of the reason was because of a belief I have developed over the years: discomfort is an opportunity for growth. Surrendering to the scrutiny of a professional and choosing to train openly in front of everyone definitely made me uncomfortable, but I chose to do it anyway because I knew that it was something I had to do. Every little choice makes a difference in your future self, and I wanted to build up my confidence as well as my physical strength. So if you feel uncomfortable about going to the gym and training in the open, then keep in mind that that may be exactly what you need to do.

All in all, a trainer isn’t necessary. You can always ask staff for advice and help when faced with odd machines and other workout troubles, or look up tips and routines online. There is a plethora of mediums from which you can learn about exercise. However, the biggest difference is that trainers can see you in action and correct your mistakes as you make them. Besides, when you get to know them, they’re not that scary. They may be buff and burly, but unlike TV drill sergeants, they’re also friendly.

credit

Anna Karch

UWindsor '20

Anna Karch studies English, French, and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. In her spare time, Anna enjoys playing piano, journaling, and spending time with friends. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to continue writing in the future.