Don’t Collapse Under the Pressure of a New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Has anyone else experienced stress just looking at the dates of their syllabi? Classes have only just started and it already seems like too much. Don’t stress! These simple tips can save you from a mid-semester meltdown.

1)      Don’t try to cram everything into one day. Make a list of what you have to achieve for the week instead. You’ll never accomplish each task in 24 hours, which will make you feel like giving up after Monday! Avoid the crash by spreading out your to-do list.

2)      Make a schedule you can follow. Instead of procrastinating, which is a major contribution to stress, figure out what you need to do and when you need to do it. Plan things at a pace that works best for you!

3)      Prioritize your calendar. What’s more important, an 8-page essay worth 30% of your grade, or a pop-quiz worth 5%? Focus on large tasks before spending time and energy on smaller ones.

4)      Use your planner! This is so important if you want to be organized. When so many projects are due, midterms and quizzes are all over the place, and you have to balance work and a social life, you need more than just a mental calendar.

5)      Remember that you’ve done this before! Whether you’re coming from high school or finishing your undergrad, you’ve managed to pull through a tough semester before. Take the time to think of how you survived before and keep a positive attitude.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to have a totally stress-free semester. However, if you follow these tips, you can avoid feeling overwhelmed and enjoy your best semester yet!

Hint: If you find yourself needing a little extra help, there are a tons of services on campus such as STEPS, SOS, and the Student Success Centre.

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.