stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Dealing with your mental health during the holidays 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The holidays are usually a relaxing time to de-stress with family and to take a break before the next semester kicks off, work resumes, or other commitments take place. We’re all looking forward to this much-needed break, but sometimes the holidays can be overwhelming. This can relate to the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS). During the semester, many of us are not aware of the strain that our bodies are undergoing due to stress. When we’re done the semester, our bodies cannot cope any longer and we experience a “crash.” This crash can make it so there are several days during the break where you might be feeling overwhelmed (even though you’re done the semester), or you might be at a low point emotionally. 

This can be extremely overwhelming on top of having to buy presents (if you celebrate Christmas), or going to tackle those ‘XMAS deals before items go out of stock. You’re also trying to make time for those friends you may have neglected due to school and the stresses of academia, which can also lead to stressful situations—especially when you are trying to take into account all your friends’ schedules. You might also have to fit in those appointments to get your nails done, visit the dentist, or other self-care regimens that you put off due to finals or your demanding school-schedule. Now you’re trying to fit all that in before said clinics/stores close for the break. This is also overwhelming. 

Although all these commitments are extremely stressful and you feel like you need to be on your feet trying to tackle all these things during the break, it is important to take time out for yourself! You should get a massage, take a nice long bath, put on some music and shave (very therapeutic), or even spend the entire day in bed and order takeout. You deserve to take care of your body’s needs and other emotional needs. Turn your phone off, hit the snooze button on the alarm clock (you should not be waking up before 10am during the break ;)), or even hit the gym for a workout (or don’t). Whatever you do, make sure you do what works for you. 

Besides taking the time to listen to your physical and emotional needs, also ensure that you are isolating yourself from toxic family members. We’ve all grown up hearing about that aunt or uncle who acts a certain way and that you should deal with it. However, you should not be obligated to interact with anyone who brings you down or isn’t good for your mental health or space. Take the time to reflect on how a certain situation might make you feel, what you will gain from it, and if it is worth your time. If you find yourself feeling down after socializing with certain people, make sure to avoid those situations this holiday season! 

Cultivate happiness and interact with individuals who are good for your mental health this holiday season. Happy holidays! 

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.